What's new

Recommendations from my Florida Keys Trip

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I just want to recommend you visit two places if you are ever in the neighborhood

Cigar Castle in Tampa is a first class place, huge well maintained humidor, friendly people, comfortable smoking area, nice bar and damn good Cafe Leche. Wife and I spend mid morning there last Friday and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.

The Island Smoke Shop in Key West was also a nice visit. Walking distance from the Hampton Inn the proprietor is a class act and we had a great conversation about just about everything. Really nice humidor and their shop rolls where some of the best I have tasted.

When I walked into Le Fe Cigars in Marathon I though I walked into someone's office but the owner opened the door to his rolling room and showed me his home rolls. I'm looking forward to trying them but the place is worth a visit for it's uniqueness!

The majority of shops in Key West cater to tourists and cruise passengers so I would keep that in mind when you visit. They do have a place that is highly recommended "Rodriquez" cigars but we where so burned up from walking around Duval Street in the morning heat that I missed it and was to tired to try to find it.

Other things to remember is that Papa Pilar has a distillery in Key West but was closed when I passed by, American Freedom Distillery (Horse Soldier) is opening a new visitor center in Tampa. We where about a week to early but I did take a peek inside and I think it's going to be a nice.

JC Newman Cigars is renovating their visitor center and there again we where a couple of weeks early. Tampa Sweethearts was open for pickup only and I didn't knock on the door to try and get inside.

It was easy to find a great meal in the Keys, the Yelp and Trip Advisor recommendations seem to be pretty spot on with their recommendations!

If it hadn't been so damn hot I would have more to say.

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I'm jealous...i have been dreaming of a trip to the keys for the longest time. Sounds like a blast! How was the food?

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Wait until it cools down if you decide to go. They are starting to lock down again. The Keys probably more then anywhere else in Florida is taking Covid seriously.

We followed the recommendations in Yelp and Trip Advisor and they where pretty spot on. I had a prenominal sautéed Mahi Mahi at the Fish House in Key Largo, Mrs Macs in Key Largo had huge portions, Habano's on the Creek is a very small place tucked into the Charter fishing dock at Tavernier Creek and makes a great Cuban Sandwich and unique chicken stir fry that my wife loved. Hobo's café was also tremendous. Probably spent more on dinners then we should have but we never walked out of the places mentioned feeling we didn't get our money's worth.

jwintosh

BoM June 07
Rating - 100%
353   0   0
cool beans! been wanting to go there for a while. hopefully, we'll get the chance. the key west area looks like a great place for a herf.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Maybe a short cruise that visits Key West, it would be a lot cheaper and flights to Fort Lauderdale or Miami are easy with good connections. That drive through the Keys from Miami can be pretty long. My hotel in Key Largo allowed smoking on their little beach and on the small balcony plus there is a nice shop on Key Largo.