What's new

Recommendations

Rating - 100%
112   0   0
I've been a coffee drinker for a while but I have always settled with the major chain places, mainly Dunkin. can anyone recommend a good coffee, on the stronger side. I don't know too much of the specifics of coffee so brand names would really be what I'm looking for. Any help would be great!
Thanks,
Collin

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Peet's Coffee is pretty damn strong IMO and should be somewhat easy to find.

If you can't source any, let me know and I'll find some for you.

Randy

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recommend Peet's Coffee and Tea too; they roast in the dark spectrum causing a lot of their coffees to be unmistakably bitter and heavily bodied (which you could call "strong"), but they don't roast too dark to completely lack in flavor (in contrast to Starbucks, who roast darker than Peet's).

I think there's a misconception to the term "strength" when in actuality the darker, "bolder" roasts actually have less caffeine content than lighter roasted coffees. I think the special benefit of exploring lighter roasted coffees is that not only are they more potent in caffeine content, but their flavor range is greater than darker roasted coffees (although light roasted coffees do lack in bitterness and body). Many times the darker the coffee is roasted, the more the subtle flavors are lost.

Cheers!

Rating - 100%
160   0   0
I don't have one brand that i go with but rather have some favorites. You just got to out and find what you like best.

From Starbucks: Breakfast Blend, Blonde: Willow Blend, Komodo Dragon
From Pete's: House Blend, French Roast, Cafe Domingo
Also like Dunkin' Doughnuts and Foldgers Classic Roast.

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
I recommend Peet's Coffee and Tea too; they roast in the dark spectrum causing a lot of their coffees to be unmistakably bitter and heavily bodied (which you could call "strong"), but they don't roast too dark to completely lack in flavor (in contrast to Starbucks, who roast darker than Peet's).
Yes, I agree 100% but I am biased - my cousin is an aspiring roaster at Pete's

I think there's a misconception to the term "strength" when in actuality the darker, "bolder" roasts actually have less caffeine content than lighter roasted coffees. I think the special benefit of exploring lighter roasted coffees is that not only are they more potent in caffeine content, but their flavor range is greater than darker roasted coffees (although light roasted coffees do lack in bitterness and body). Many times the darker the coffee is roasted, the more the subtle flavors are lost.

Cheers!
100% true.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I agree 100% but I am biased - my cousin is an aspiring roaster at Pete's

100% true.
Thanks Sean! Best wishes to your cousin, I think that's awesome! Honestly, Peet's Coffee and Tea is solely the reason why I started developing much more interest and passion for coffee; many other coffee people I know also had their starting off in the hobby for coffee from Peet's. Prior to having my first cup of Peet's, coffee to me always just had a bitter taste and no real appreciative flavor unless mixed with flavored creme (hazelnut creme was always my go-to then).

It was my first cup of French Roast coffee from Peet's where my tongue was able to detect an unusual yet glorious flavor - in that first cup, I tasted "dark bittersweet-berry/grape". Imagine... "grape" from coffee! I was blown away! From then on I became a "Peetnik" and started my journey in coffee. Because of this, Peet's will always be close to my heart.

Since then, I've been exploring roasters who roast in the lighter roast ranges, and the flavors are simply divine - floral, dried fruit, winey, lambic, earthy, herbal, nutty, cinnamon are just a few of the flavors (depending on region and type of processing) that come out in lighter roasted coffees . I recommend anyone who wants to explore lighter-medium roasted coffee to purchase coffee from Temple Coffee (Sacramento, CA), Stumptown Coffee, Verve Coffee, Cafe Moto, Ritual Roasters, or Intelligentsia coffee.

Have fun!

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
Since then, I've been exploring roasters who roast in the lighter roast ranges, and the flavors are simply divine - floral, dried fruit, winey, lambic, earthy, herbal, nutty, cinnamon are just a few of the flavors (depending on region and type of processing) that come out in lighter roasted coffees . I recommend anyone who wants to explore lighter-medium roasted coffee to purchase coffee from Temple Coffee (Sacramento, CA), Stumptown Coffee, Verve Coffee, Cafe Moto, Ritual Roasters, or Intelligentsia coffee.
This is plunge I have yet to take...

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Jittery Joe's in Athens is pretty great too. They supply the coffee that Terrapin uses in their coffee stouts. Really like their morning ride, wake n' bake, & depth charge