What's new

Recommendations?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Edit: after posting I realize there are many threads for new people here. I’ll read now in case this is such a common post and has been addressed. Sorry if so! Reading up now.

posted in the newbs section a week ago I think for background. So I took about ten years off but back full force into cigars. Kept a well stocked humidor over those years and adding to it.

I also have a nice pipe I invested into and occasionally smoked. I do miss it sometimes. I live across the street from a B and M but any recommendations on some tobacco blends? When it comes to pipes, I’m not nearly as experienced. I would buy the house blend or this and that. I’m pretty open to any flavors or types. I’d appreciate any info on your favorites ... maybe I’ll get a few online as well.

Thanks for any help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Welcome!
Probably the best recommendation would be to go to tabaccoreviews.com and read some reviews first, find a few blends that sound interesting to you and get some samples. Smokingpipes.com has a decent selection of bulk tobacco’s and you can order some 1 ounce samples.
Another option is to get some codger blends, Carter Hall, Prince Albert, Sir Walther Raleigh etc. there’s a reason these have been around for the last hundred years or so! The advantage to these is that they burn extremely well, this gives you a chance to develop your technique, packing, tamping, cadence etc without having to fight a finicky, stubborn, tongue melting tobacco.
Other than these OTC blends I don’t recommend aromatics to start with.

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I use tobacco reviews a lot. Just to see what the characteristics are. Most B&Ms that sell pipe tobacco will let you try a bowl of bulk and some keep opened tins around so you can try. I don't have ago to anymore now that McClelland is gone so I just keep trying new things.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!
Probably the best recommendation would be to go to tabaccoreviews.com and read some reviews first, find a few blends that sound interesting to you and get some samples. Smokingpipes.com has a decent selection of bulk tobacco’s and you can order some 1 ounce samples.
Another option is to get some codger blends, Carter Hall, Prince Albert, Sir Walther Raleigh etc. there’s a reason these have been around for the last hundred years or so! The advantage to these is that they burn extremely well, this gives you a chance to develop your technique, packing, tamping, cadence etc without having to fight a finicky, stubborn, tongue melting tobacco.
Other than these OTC blends I don’t recommend aromatics to start with.
Thanks. And to the other comments. I’ll check that out and take the advice in this thread. Appreciate it!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another great way to try new things is to get in the pipe newbie trade!
Yeah good idea. I still haven’t seen all the forums here yet. Spent a lot of time here yesterday exploring. Def found my site here at BOTL. Reminds me of the feel over at cigars weekly years ago when it was very active.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Yeah good idea. I still haven’t seen all the forums here yet. Spent a lot of time here yesterday exploring. Def found my site here at BOTL. Reminds me of the feel over at cigars weekly years ago when it was very active.

I'm not going to keep repeating what others already said since I'd also say the same.

But stick around for a while and get involved in the community, just like you are and watch what'll unfold for you. It'll be worth it.

To see what others are smoking, check out the "what's in your bowl" thread in the pipes section of the forum. Just keep in mind- some tobaccos are HTF (hard to find), like Esoterica and Germain's. Also, some are either no longer made, like McClelland and Dunhill tobaccos. Some also can be from local tobacconists as well- Strauss Tobacconist, LJ Peretti's etc. Of course Cornell & Diehl, GL Pease and so forth are still out there in the wild and mass produced for the most part.

Sadly, Mc Clelland's and Dunhill tobaccos are no longer in production BUT could still be had if you put in some leg work. I'd keep eyes peeled at your local shops or in travel anywhere to other out of town spots, sometimes you'll get lucky and find some dusty tins on the shelves. I actually, from my own personal experience, found a bunch of tins in a cigar shop in NJ when we did a weekend getaway to the Renaissance Faire in upstate NY. My wife (and the employee) thought I was crazy when I scooped up their stock of McClellands tobacco. The employee said nobody wanted the tobaccos, clearly I saw when I saw the 2014/15?? tins stamped on the bottom of them. Sometimes you'll get lucky and find something.