What's new

Refilling Colibri Firebird

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

So I bought a can of Colibri butane to refill the Firebird I just got off eBay and it just doesnt work? Like the instructions said, I pressed the little pin to let the gas out of the chamber, set my little control knob close to 'L', and pressed firmly on the can for 4-5 seconds while the lighter is upside down. And yet, I feel that nothing is coming out of the can. I repeated everything a good 10 times and after letting the lighter warm up (it didn't get cold in the first place, no butane got in), all I see is the little spark. Any help? :help: :eyequiver

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I pressed the can's nozzle on a piece of paper and butane shot out. Maybe I should trim the nozzle on the can?

vperlman

Harleyrider
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Try the procedure again, but before refilling, try putting both the butane and the lighter in your freezer for 15-20 minutes. Then wait for the lighter to reach room temperature before trying to light it. Don't forget to turn the flame adjuster back up before lighting.

IMO, Colibris are junk, but the Firebird is a decent lighter that usually works well. You do have to operate it slowly, to give the fuel a chance to flow before triggering the ignition. If you do that, Firebirds usually light every time.

You might have a defective lighter, or a defective can of fuel. If it still doesn't work after trying the above, try a different can of fuel before tossing or returning the lighter.

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
might be that the nossel doesn't fit your lighter properly if so you should have received adapters with the can of butane though it would be strange if a colibri can can't fill the lighter

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Tilt the butane can sideways while holding it on the the lighter until you hear the butane coming out, I have a few lighters that do this.

oneaday

2007 BoY
Rating - 100%
112   0   0
Try purging the butane tank on the lighter. Hold it upright and use a pen or small screwdriver to push the fill nozzle up and release any air pressure in the tank. Sometimes there is enough air in the tank to keep it from filling.