What's new

Refining Your Pallette

N2Advnture

Loyal to a fault...
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
I have seen lots of posts lately in regards to "refining a palate" so I thought I'd toss my $.02 in.

The key reason for refining your palate is to aide in picking up the subtilties in your smokes, so here are a few tips that I believe will help you out:

1.) A "refined" palate doesn't come over night and isn't available to everyone. Genetics has a lot to do with it as well, so don't get discouraged. The main key is to try a WIDE variety of cigars and to concentrate on them when smoking. (ie: Don't be working on your car or mowing your lawn.)

2.) Smoke slower! Remember the one minute rule between draws. This is the most common reason people don't pick up certain flavors. For one, they smoke too fast which causes a cigar to get hot and bitter. Secondly, because they are smoking to quickly, they don't have a chance to savor the flavors and don't concentrate on them. Try it, I guarantee you will pick up more flavor.

3.) After taking a draw and expelling the smoke, take some air in through your nose and mouth (at the same time if you can do it). By drawing air through you mouth and nose you pull some concentrated flavors across your olfactory and can usually pick up a ton of subtle flavors this way.

4.) Drink water. Try not to drink anything that will over power or effect the flavor of your smoke. As you get good at discerning what flavors are in a smoke, you can then pair beverages that will compliment those flavors. (Rums, scotches, coffees, etc...)

5.) Read reviews. I am a firm believer in the "smoke what you like and like what you smoke" but reviews (and MRN's book) are a great GUIDE to leading you in the direction of smokes that fit your preferred flavor profile(s). I am not saying go buy a box of ANYTHING based on a review. If a review or a couple of reviews describe flavors that seem to be in your preferred flavor profile, then pick up a couple to try for yourself before committing to a box.

6.) Smoke a cigar that has been reviewed and try to follow along with the reviewer. You'll be amazed at how smoking along with someone else's notes will help you pick up flavors that you couldn't put your finger on.

7.) Take notes for yourself! Break the cigar down into thirds (first 1/3, second 1/3, final 1/3). Most cigars change flavor in these areas so it's a good general rule to follow. By taking your own notes, you slow down and concentrate on the flavors.

8.) SMOKE SLOWER! - It is worth mentioning twice.

9.) Once you get these basic techniques down and manage to concentrate on flavors and not techniques (like smoking slower!) I HIGHLY recommend blowing a little smoke through your nose about 2-3 times during each third. Some may argue that they do it every time but I do think there can be too much as the nasal cavity is sensitive and the hot smoke may effect it's ability to decern flavors later in the smoking experience. (You need to find a happy medium for yourself though).

I remember when I first tried it I did too much smoke and I thought my nose was going to burn off...my eyes wouldn't stop watering! LOL!

10.) Try new cuisines & beverages! Foods & beverages are a great way to develop a palate. Concentrate on each bit and try to pick up the herbs, spices, etc...

*Side note - I was smoking a small stick one time on my drive home from work and it had a certain flavor that I just couldn't relate to what it was. I was driving my crazy! So when I got home I opened the spice cabinet and sniffed through (and tasted) them all. Couldn't figure it out. A week later, I was enjoying dinner at one of our favorite places and BAM! I tasted the flavor in my meal that I had tasted in the smoke. Dried Apricots!

Hope this helps and happy smoking my friends!

~Mark

tripp

MASTER SHAKE
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
Thanks for taking the time to post this Mark.

There is some great advice here and I think I will make it a sticky for awhile for the newbies and even some of us old guys.

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
Excellent advice; #9 is what sealed the deal for me...until I learned how to blow through my nose (and subsequently breath in through my nose after an exhale), I couldn't pick up most of the subtleties in cigars.

ezrider

ezrider
Rating - 97.1%
43   1   0
Try and "sip" your smoke as well, don't take too much smoke in , just sip it...
it has helped me , hope it helps you as well
and thanks Mark for the great info...

Len___T

n0ob Phreak
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
very nice post...it helped seeing some of the things I have been doing ( on my own since I got into cigars) posted...Sometimes I felt goofy cuz I was/am very deliberate when it comes to smoking them...Ecspecially (sp ? lol) a new one....len

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Outstanding! I'm just a beginner but I can tell you that I've been smoking to fast. Thx for the excellent post!

ATCDub

Lowly Civil Servant
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Agreed. Even if you have many years experience smoking cigars, it is very easy to go into an automated pattern. One of the best things about smoking a cigar is taking the time to not do anything else in particular but smoke the cigar. It's a more relaxing experience because I'm committing myself to nothing else other than smoking. Now I'm going to commit to leaving the phone inside, smoking slower, and relaxing more. Excellent post Mark.