What's new

Remote Humidor Monitoring

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things have settled down now. The temp stabilized at 70.4 degrees and RH at 64.7%.

I have Heartfelt 65% beads.

The sensor talks to the smartphone or tablet via iBeacon technology. It doesn't show up on regular Bluetooth pairing lists. It covers the whole house. Now I have set up alerts to get notified if the temp or humidity go outside of the range I've set. So it is a fire and forget device.

I still have a regular digital unit inside because it was there when I got the humidor.

I bought the humidor off Craigslist a week ago. I'm confident the the humidor holding and the monitor works.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sensor is $50 and it talks to the smartphone via Bluetooth. Multiple sensor can be used to one smartphone, you give each sensor a name. The WiFi module costs $100. This allows you to monitor the sensors from anywhere you can get data to your smartphone.

With the WiFi unit the sensors communicate to the WiFi gateway. I believe the gateway talks to the SensorPush cloud. You log into the SensorPush cloud with the app to get connected to your sensors.

Using the WiFi gateway you would get alerts if you are away from home. Unless you you have a really big home or electronic shielding in your walls.

It's a $50 hygrometer and temp monitor. It is rated at 100 meters line of sight. I have a two floors and 40 linear feet (2 floors up on the other side of the house) between me and the sensor at the moment and I have a connection to the sensor.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost a month with my SensoePush Temp/humidity sensor. The system just went over 10,000 data points since the first day of operation. I can see Current, Hourly, Daily, Monthly and Yearly views. All on my iPhone or iPad. I don't have the WiFi connection so I can only get readings when I'm home. When I get within range it starts to update. As you can see, it was in the red zone when I first activated it but since it settled in the humidor it has been within the parameters I have set as normal. The temp will show we had some very warm days in two stretches. I had a humidity spike when I recharged the Heartfelt beads. At that time I changed the position of the sensor so I'm thinking that had something to do with the spike.

It measures Temp to a 10th of a degree and Humidity to a 10th of a percent.
So far, so good.

View media item 48834

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the temperature fluctuates, do you rush home?
As I mentioned in my post, "I don't have the WiFi connection so I can only get readings when I'm home." So, obviously, the answer is no. Besides, if it it was out of norm, I wouldn't be able to do anything about it if I were gone, right? So why would I need alerts if I were away? Now THAT would be silly. However, if the humidor needed water when I got home, the sensor would let me know at the point I could address it. That is good enough for me.

Until I know you better, I assume you are being serious and not just being obnoxious. You see, the whole point of a remote sensor is to let it do the work. It's function is to notify you via an automatic alert when the temp and/or RH is outside of the upper and lower parameters you have set. You simply set it up and forget about the conditions. Want a smoke, get a cigar. You don't even need to even look at a thermometer or hygrometer in your humidor. The alerts will tell you if it it is too dry or too wet. It will tell you if it is too hot or too cold. I don't need to do anything but respond to an alert.

Now, admittedly, I have been watching closely since powering it up, but only because it had to prove to me it actually works. I think it does.

To each his own, eh?

NOGILLS2

Navigator
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Do we need to watch temp and RH this much? I have a remote sensor, the reader sits on my bookcase. The biggest change in RH occurs when I open my cooler, deciding which stick I want to smoke or while rearranging sticks.

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
As I mentioned in my post, "I don't have the WiFi connection so I can only get readings when I'm home." So, obviously, the answer is no. Besides, if it it was out of norm, I wouldn't be able to do anything about it if I were gone, right? So why would I need alerts if I were away? Now THAT would be silly. However, if the humidor needed water when I got home, the sensor would let me know at the point I could address it. That is good enough for me.

Until I know you better, I assume you are being serious and not just being obnoxious. You see, the whole point of a remote sensor is to let it do the work. It's function is to notify you via an automatic alert when the temp and/or RH is outside of the upper and lower parameters you have set. You simply set it up and forget about the conditions. Want a smoke, get a cigar. You don't even need to even look at a thermometer or hygrometer in your humidor. The alerts will tell you if it it is too dry or too wet. It will tell you if it is too hot or too cold. I don't need to do anything but respond to an alert.

Now, admittedly, I have been watching closely since powering it up, but only because it had to prove to me it actually works. I think it does.

To each his own, eh?
I was actually curious although I am often obnoxious when it comes to RH threads.

Although it is not out of the realm of possibility that someone else in the house can adjust humidity.

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
Do we need to watch temp and RH this much? I have a remote sensor, the reader sits on my bookcase. The biggest change in RH occurs when I open my cooler, deciding which stick I want to smoke or while rearranging sticks.
Some people do, some people don't.

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0

To each his own, eh?
What size/material humidor is it in?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You see, the point is with SensorPush type technology, you don't need to look at all. It tells you so there is no need to look. It reports do you can tell it is working if you wish to look. It also gives you the battery level but it will also tell you when you need to change it.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size/material humidor is it in?
I have a Waxing Moon, Waxing Cresent 150 stick humidor in walnut. It was built about an inch taller than the basic unit. It didn't come with temp or hygrometer so the $49 SensorPush was very close to buying a good digital unit. Plus, I keep it in my basement home office. Once I leave my home office I make a point to only go to my office if I want a cigar or need something I may have left in there like a coffee mug.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great, I like mine. I was gone for a week and when I got home all the data uploaded. The house got a little warm when I was gone and the temp peaked out at 74 for a couple of hours on one day. I've learned when the humidity drops below 64% it's time to rehydrate the beads. So I set the alarm at 63.5%.