What's new

Resource for comparison of cigar leaf

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I began smoking a pipe, I found this site, that has an extensive evaluation of commercially produced blends:
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/browse
Is there something similar that serves as a reference for leaf components? OR is it something that can be added as a searchable forum page? For instance, the blend I am currently experimenting with tastes great but burns very slowly. Where would I find information on combustibility to 1.)confirm that the issue lies with the leaf, not my rolling and 2.) offer a selection of leaves that can be added to the blend to improve the burn. I am getting better at producing a mechanically correct stick, and can soon see myself in a position of wanting more information regarding other forum members' experiences with various leaves.

Dominican56

CRA #99997657
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
It appears that leaf for the hobbyist cigar maker varies greatly from batch to batch. That's what the long-timers are saying.
Just when one understands a leaf from a particular batch, the next batch of supposedly the same leaf has much different characteristics.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It appears that leaf for the hobbyist cigar maker varies greatly from batch to batch. That's what the long-timers are saying.
Just when one understands a leaf from a particular batch, the next batch of supposedly the same leaf has much different characteristics.
And since the online retailers don't include any information identifying batches, we're SOL. now that's just wrong!!!

Thanks, Dominican56

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trust me, I'm not complaining. I'm here to learn by absorbing all the information that is available.

If the leaf changes that much from year to year, How do the big boys go about producing consistent sticks? I always know what I'm going to get if I reach down a La Gloria Cubana serie N. My sense is there is little to no flavor casing or topping on the leaf, bur what do I know?

By contrast, wine manufacturers embrace the year to year differences and just give each batch a vintage. Too bad the leaf retailers don't do something like that.

I assume Criollo 98 and habano 2000 are strains of tobacco plants, not grow season. Correct?

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Trust me, I'm not complaining. I'm here to learn by absorbing all the information that is available.

If the leaf changes that much from year to year, How do the big boys go about producing consistent sticks?

I assume Criollo 98 and habano 2000 are strains of tobacco plants, not grow season. Correct?
That is the function of the big boys' blenders. Maybe we imagine, from the boutique scene, that the blender's function is to create exciting new shit. That's true for the first batch of a new product. But the big boy's rarely make new products, and their blenders spend all their time trying to match last year's flavor with this year's leaf.

Yes, those are strains, not years.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, let's dip further into the fountain of botl knowledge. I'd like recommendations for 2 wrappers to add my stock of leaf.

1. A Maduro wrapper, thin with fine veins and rich traditional Maduro flavor and little to no harshness.

2. A wrapper, darker than a Connecticut but lighter than a maduro wrapper with fine veins, thin and a spicy flavor.

3. Finally, and at the risk of overreaching my welcome, a blend that would result In stick that could be described as creamy.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
OK, let's dip further into the fountain of botl knowledge. I'd like recommendations for 2 wrappers to add my stock of leaf.

1. A Maduro wrapper, thin with fine veins and rich traditional Maduro flavor and little to no harshness.

2. A wrapper, darker than a Connecticut but lighter than a maduro wrapper with fine veins, thin and a spicy flavor.

3. Finally, and at the risk of overreaching my welcome, a blend that would result In stick that could be described as creamy.
1 - https://www.leafonly.com/cigar-tobacco-leaf/tobacco-leaves/ecuadorian-ligero-tobacco-leaf-wrapper has been my favorite for a dark wrapper but the quality of leaves varies a lot in each order I have gotten. Expect more than the 10% unusable that is stated.
2 - https://www.leafonly.com/cigar-tobacco-leaf/tobacco-leaves/ecuadorian-seco-binder I have been using a lot of this lately. I know it says binder but as many have already found it has a large % that is wrapper quality. Out of the last pound I ordered it was easily over 75% wrapper grade.
3 - I would suggest trying the blend kits offered such as http://wholeleaftobacco.com/Whole-Leaf-Cigar-Blends_c30.htm . They are inexpensive and you can get an idea of how the different tobaccos taste together. The Melodioso Cremosa sounds like what you are looking for.

nic

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0

1) Have not seen a true maduro wrapper such as you describe. Dark ones, yes. Maduro, no. Course, I can't say I've been looking. If you check over at the FairTradeTobacco forum, you can find any number of guys tell you how they madurate their own leaf. For some, it's a simple as putting the stuff wet in a bag on the dash of an old pickup in the sun with the windows up.

2) LO Ecuadorian seco shade. Although the Ec Seco binder will provide wrapper grade leaves, it's just not the same leaf or flavor as the Ec seco shade wrapper.

3) Put something mild in the middle, like that Honduran viso & seco, or Dom viso & seco (no ligero), then get your creamy by using CT shade for binder & wrapper.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The darkest wrappers with small veins is the Brazilian Arapiraca Wrapper ( LO ) or the San Andres is even darker. Smaller and finer than any dark wrapper I've seen. In fact, the veins are small enough to get 4 wrappers out of one leaf. Makes a beautiful cigar.

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. 6 recommendations, all from LO. My first ( and only )purchase was from WLT. Guess I gotta go check those guys out :)

BTW; is this forum owned, maintained or otherwise supported in a direct business like way to either of these retailers? I understand the Fair Trade forum is operated by WLT, and discussions of other sources there would be considered poor form. I don't want to be ignorant due to my..... ignorance.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Wow. 6 recommendations, all from LO. My first ( and only )purchase was from WLT. Guess I gotta go check those guys out :)

BTW; is this forum owned, maintained or otherwise supported in a direct business like way to either of these retailers? I understand the Fair Trade forum is operated by WLT, and discussions of other sources there would be considered poor form. I don't want to be ignorant due to my..... ignorance.
No. Unlike FTT this an open forum.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have noticed that most tobacco used in commercial sticks is described by it's country of origin. Is it fair to say that the same plant grown in different tobacco growing countries will yield significantly different taste? Or is this merely an attempt by the blending houses to *generalize* regarding their tobacco to allow adjustment for crop year variations?

Stated another way: which condition has the greater affect on the taste of leaves from a particular priming: the strain of tobacco plant or country of origin?

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
When you get a minute. The Ugly Truth About Maduro Cigars
Tobacco is in large part a product of its environment. CT tobacco is not from there and has come to be its own strain. you'll hear CT seed grown in Ecuador and, alike. it will be similar and not the same. Using a transplant seed like that is one thing but, when using seed from that region after the transplant a new strain will be developed. That is how CT has come to be.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you get a minute. The Ugly Truth About Maduro Cigars
Tobacco is in large part a product of its environment. CT tobacco is not from there and has come to be its own strain. you'll hear CT seed grown in Ecuador and, alike. it will be similar and not the same. Using a transplant seed like that is one thing but, when using seed from that region after the transplant a new strain will be developed. That is how CT has come to be.
Some interesting points in the show on how maduro wrappers are made.

Barry spilled the beans talking about adding glycerine to the outside wrapper to make it darker, oily and smooth.
Food coloring painted on.
Sauce made from stems. Highest nicotine level.
The wrapper can be "bruised'" causing it to become darker. (could this be what causes dark spots on the light Connecticut shade wrappers?)

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Some interesting points in the show on how maduro wrappers are made.

Barry spilled the beans talking about adding glycerine to the outside wrapper to make it darker, oily and smooth.
Food coloring painted on.
Sauce made from stems. Highest nicotine level.
The wrapper can be "bruised'" causing it to become darker. (could this be what causes dark spots on the light Connecticut shade wrappers?)
I guess if it touches it? Im not sure thats what you mean.. I saved a great example of paining I'll post later.