What's new

Review: Calcutta Metal Works Cigar Scissors

redneck_toy

Fuente Fanboy
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
This is review of the Calcutta Metal Works Scissors. I got these free with a box purchase at CI about two weeks ago. They fold up, which is handy.

I believe these retail for around $20. Unfolded, they feel pretty solid. They lock in place with little to no play.

It also has a few accessories hidden in both handles. For the life of me, I can't even figure out what they are all suppose to be for. The only o e I'm sure of is the meager bottle opener.

I assume the little ones are for poking a hole in the head of the cigar of the draw is tight?? The double headed one might be a cigar "roach clip"
To date, I have used these to cut approximately 14 cigars. Of those 14, probably 12 of them have cracked the cap. Note the Casa Magna that I torched earlier today. The crack went maybe an inch down, all the way to the band. Had to use Chapstick to glue it back together. The only Chapstick I could find was my daughter's Green Apple. That imparted a strange flavor upon the smoke as you can imagine, but that's a different subject for a different thread.

Another thing. When you do use these, the handles are broke over sheet metal, and feel real uncomfortable during use. This may be to my being a southpaw, as any lefty can tell you that right handed scissors are a bitch use use left handed. Overall, I would have been disappointed if I'd payed retail for these, which is really a bummer because I had these exact scissors in my cart at least 4 times, and would delete them before purchase. I wanted to like these. After all, the real sophisticated herfers use them, right? Anyway, the cracking may be due to the fact that none of my stogies are more than two months old. Most of them under three weeks. I think I'll stick to my keychain punch, or the punch built in to my Bugatti lighter. Ymmv

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
The little 2 prong piece is also handy to prise open a box lid that's been nailed down. I threw in a pair on a CBid order for 4 bucks. I haven't used them a lot, but I find them a little gentler when I kind of score around the cap with light pressure, then when I've gone deep enough to reach the filler is when I'll give them a snap down to cut. No splitting when I do it that way.

Rating - 100%
231   0   0
I have been using the xikar scissors for 2 years and they are just as sharp as the day I bought them, it`s also comforting to know that they have the solid xikar lifetime warranty. They actually work so good that Mr Mikey Limiteds always asks me to circumcise his limitados when we herf;)
@Lipher

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Got one of these from cbid. They arrived damaged, all bent out of shape. Promptly got a refund but they still work fine.

Xikar mtx is a much nicer product. I thought these were rebranded Xikars, not the case at all. When using scissors try to take several smaller cuts around the edges of the cap until you have a little island of cap left over, and then clip that off.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, these blow. Tried them twice and never again. Their main problem is that the steel scissor blades are extremely thick and the cutting edge angle is so steep that there's no way to get them sharp without completely reprofiling them. And since the cutting edges are curved, this is extremely difficult if not impossible without some sort of specialized tool (or just saying f*ck it and using a Dremel freehand with a grinder bit -- couldn't make them any worse).

These could have been decent if they'd bothered to put a halfway decent edge on them. Not sure why they didn't.