What's new

Review Contest 3 Cigar #3!!!!

Rating - 100%
36   0   0
This was a well constructed cigar with only 2 or 3 spongy spots in it…….Nice brown wrapper. Pre light was a little grassy with a good draw...used a double guillotine cutter and a cup of green tea.

First third of this smoke the draw was excellent producing a lot of smoke……grassy and woody .

Second third of this stick had more wood and pepper tastes grassy flavor was gone at this point.

The final third of the smoke and much of the same flavors ....wood maybe a hint of chocolate..

Appearance 14
Ash 9
Draw 10
Smoke 9
Flavor 18
Uniqueness 8
Finish 14
Burn 10
Final 92

Rating - 100%
104   0   0
Tonight’s mystery cigar is accompanied by a nice glass of Matusalem 15yr Gran Reserva. It looks to be a lancero

Pre-Light: This stick is VERY spongy to the touch. A dry-looking stick, with many bumps and veins. Also appears to have a slight box press to it.

A quick sniff reveals the familiar Cuban-esque aroma of chocolate! Yum!

Already, I think we’ re off to a bad start, as I believe I’m seeing mold spots on the stick. What do you think?

Pre-Light draw: No spice whatsoever, and a slight earthy taste

1st 3rd: I’d bet my right arm that this is a CC. It’s got that distint grassy flavor. So far, so good! I’m getting a slight earthy, tobacco flavor and not much else. There is a fair amount of smoke. Uneven burn, and ash.

2nd 3rd: Well, my promising start has faded, and is being replaced with disappointment! I keep having to touch it up, and it’s starting to tunnel. The once nice, smooth draw, has become tougher. Smoke is almost non-existent.

3rd 3rd As if the magic cigar fairy waved her wand over my cigar, all of the problems in the 2nd 3rd have disappeared. Lots of smoke, easy draw, and no burn issues. I even picked up a little spice (briefly). It did start to get pretty warm at the end.

All in all, I thought this was a great stick. I wish there was a little more to it on the flavor end of things, as pretty much it was earthy tobacco and not much else.

Appearance..... 15
Ash................ 6
Draw.............. 9
Burn...............8
Smoke............ 8
Flavor/Blend.... 16
Uniqueness...... 7
Finish............. 18

Total Score: 87

Verdict; I would like to pick up a few of these for the humi.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
188   0   0
I'm thinkin' he forgot that Flavor was a 20 point category, and that finish and appearance are 15 points, etc. Just a guess...

Come on Luke, you're late!

Rating - 100%
104   0   0
I'm thinkin' he forgot that Flavor was a 20 point category, and that finish and appearance are 15 points, etc. Just a guess...

Come on Luke, you're late!
True...

I was basing everything on a 10 pt. scale. I kept wondering why the hell my score was so low, compared to everyone elses! I'll need to fix that!

Thanks sheep... ye bastage.

Rating - 100%
104   0   0
No - that's strange!

I opened the baggies a few times so moisture would not collect & leave them open in the humidor (though they are still bagged, just not sealed).
I had mine sealed in the humi, but thought it was very odd that I would get mold growth.... I still smoked it, and it was good!

Maybe I'll open the baggies.

Rating - 100%
188   0   0
No mold spots for me...but it has made me rethink the wrapper burn. Maybe it wasn't the weather, maybe these were just a bit over humidified from their original source. Anyway, my burn issues only appeared to be wrapper-deep.

Benzopyrene

BoM June 08
Rating - 100%
108   0   0
Okay guys the third cigar in this contest was none other than the El Rey del Mundo Grandes de Espana! It seems like you all really enjoyed this smoke, which makes me happy!

This cigar was one I had been wanting to try for a while, but never really went out and bought. I guess I figured it would be nice to see what everyone thought about this one. This cigar was my favorite size, al lancer, and was nice and soft on inspection. The band contrasted nicely with the wrapper, and it had a nice sweet pre-light aroma to it. The ash a little weaker than I usually see in a lancer, but I figured it would be that way from the feel of the smoke. The draw was superb, and even though it felt loose to the touch it didn’t affect the draw.

The burn was just about perfect from the start to the finish and I only had to relight it once or twice towards the end. This cigar started out with a soft, sweet undertone on top of a woody core. It was light-medium bodied and was very pleasing to the palate. The second third eased up on the sweetness, but maintained nice woody core. The final third had some flawed areas of mild harshness, but they resolved quickly, and didn’t contribute much to my opinion of this cigar. The smoke was nice and thick throughout. Overall, I really enjoyed this cigar. I had no idea these were going to be so yummy, and I’m a little disappointed that I only have a few singles left for myself. I will definitely be purchasing a box of these in the near future to hold back for a few years down the road.

a-12
a-8
d-10
b-9
fb-17
u-7
s-10
f-14
Total- 88/100

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Note to self: Buy a ton of these!! I loved the Tainos when it was in production I'd kill to get a box today but I think I'll smoke these since they're in production... Thanks for the reviews guys.

Soundwave13

BoM Feb 2010
Rating - 100%
143   0   0
That's great! I love this! I couldn't figure out what it was...

One thing for sure - I would love to get more of these - what a great smoke!

Oh, and I love that second picture Luke! Thanks!

xddco

The Skipper
Rating - 100%
115   0   0
Another that I would have never guessed... but the wrapper and appearance of this smoke was impressive.... and it was quite enjoyable, despite the burn issues.