What's new

Review: Don Carlos Personal Reserve, “The Man’s 80th

Capn_Jackson

A Razorback lost in Texas land
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I got these cigars from a forum buddy last year (Thanks @Old Smokey !), and they were very well aged before they came to me.

1FDBE033-A1CF-4693-B02E-27AE8BFB87E3.jpeg

As many probably know, they were a 2015 release. I’m not sure if this particular box is that old, but I don’t think they were sold in these 20’s for very long before Fuente scaled them down to boxes of 10, so could be. Someone else would probably know that better than I, and the commentary is absolutely welcome.

This robusto has a very smooth wrapper the color of peanut butter, and a firm pack. Slight bit of box press from their years-long nap together.

CAB589D7-37CC-4151-9746-D85C69EC9576.jpeg

Aroma and cold draw both have some hay and barnyard. As I’ve already smoked half of this box, I’ve learned that I like the draw on this cigar best with just a punch, leaving a tad bit of resistance that opens up as it gets going. Lighting draw has a very unique flavor I can never place. I taste it every time I light up one of these “Man’s 80th,” but it’s always gone before I can identify it. It’s very floral, or maybe fruit-like, or maybe... aaaand it’s gone.

First third. As I start into this cigar, I get a lot of nutty flavor that is at first ambiguous, and some kind of baking spices, although that’s not uncommon with my palate. There’s also a fruit that isn’t clear at first, but as the cigar opens up it always reminds me of pears. I imagine this would go great with a pear or apple brandy, and before this box is gone I’m gonna have to make that happen! Today, as usual, I’m pairing it with sparkling water. The retrohale has a slight burst of white pepper, giving a nice little kick to all those other flavors. The finish is very bright, and almost tart, like some kind of yogurt with fruit. Take that with a grain of salt, that’s just what comes to my mind. Very creamy, chewy smoke, and lots of smoke output. As the first third opens up, all these flavors round out so well together, showing the age and care these cigars were given. Going on, the nutty flavor seems to identify as a dry almond. The finish almost turns to peach, like some kind of frozen tart yogurt with peaches mixed in. The ash holds up with a solid core, just a little flaky around the edges. The burn line gets slightly wavy, but I’m going to blame my lighter running out fuel while I was toasting it up.

35F698D2-66AE-4F92-B964-3B5A2A7E5BE1.jpeg

Second third. There are some bursts of orange here and there, and the other flavors merge more into something like an almond toffee. Finish is still very bright, with just a hint of tart. Such a unique smoke. The subtle pepper from before is gone, replaced by a little zesty chili. Just barely there, like a halo over the rest of it. I don’t like a lot of pepper in a smoke, but this little kick of chili spice reminds me of what I get in a Punch Short, and I dig it... so much.
This ash doesn’t quit, hanging on tight as I get near the middle.

2181EDD8-239C-43D0-A77F-F789C8C017BF.jpeg

Overall, this second segment has just brought all the previously noted flavors together in a very smooth blend.

597A0076-77C9-4D7D-B6D9-B481718B2DB8.jpeg

This pose is called “Sun Salut-ash-on.”

862AE0AE-3159-4B2C-ADA4-6E3D8C3FF8D6.jpeg

Gotta take that secondary band off now, before I start puffin’ on paper and ink.

Last third: As if announcing the last third, this baby drops its ash on the concrete, luckily not in my lap.

E2ADEE36-16E7-4976-8268-57285FD76C17.jpeg

“Nooooooooooooooo.....”

As this final act starts, a tangy hickory breaks its way into the mix as well. The almond from before evolves into a slightly salted cashew. The finish morphs into a creamy chocolate, going great with the nutty flavor. Not much else changes, the flavors just get more and more “roasted.”

I end this smoke after an hour and fifty minutes. I always smoke slowly, savoring the finish of each puff. With a name like “The Man’s 80th,” a cigar SHOULD be savored. Can’t wait to have another of these, although I’ll miss them when they’re gone.

C026FCF8-2CA7-4279-9311-9DB7DEE52227.jpeg

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got these cigars from a forum buddy last year (Thanks @Old Smokey !), and they were very well aged before they came to me.

View attachment 178206

As many probably know, they were a 2015 release. I’m not sure if this particular box is that old, but I don’t think they were sold in these 20’s for very long before Fuente scaled them down to boxes of 10, so could be. Someone else would probably know that better than I, and the commentary is absolutely welcome.

This robusto has a very smooth wrapper the color of peanut butter, and a firm pack. Slight bit of box press from their years-long nap together.

View attachment 178207

Aroma and cold draw both have some hay and barnyard. As I’ve already smoked half of this box, I’ve learned that I like the draw on this cigar best with just a punch, leaving a tad bit of resistance that opens up as it gets going. Lighting draw has a very unique flavor I can never place. I taste it every time I light up one of these “Man’s 80th,” but it’s always gone before I can identify it. It’s very floral, or maybe fruit-like, or maybe... aaaand it’s gone.

First third. As I start into this cigar, I get a lot of nutty flavor that is at first ambiguous, and some kind of baking spices, although that’s not uncommon with my palate. There’s also a fruit that isn’t clear at first, but as the cigar opens up it always reminds me of pears. I imagine this would go great with a pear or apple brandy, and before this box is gone I’m gonna have to make that happen! Today, as usual, I’m pairing it with sparkling water. The retrohale has a slight burst of white pepper, giving a nice little kick to all those other flavors. The finish is very bright, and almost tart, like some kind of yogurt with fruit. Take that with a grain of salt, that’s just what comes to my mind. Very creamy, chewy smoke, and lots of smoke output. As the first third opens up, all these flavors round out so well together, showing the age and care these cigars were given. Going on, the nutty flavor seems to identify as a dry almond. The finish almost turns to peach, like some kind of frozen tart yogurt with peaches mixed in. The ash holds up with a solid core, just a little flaky around the edges. The burn line gets slightly wavy, but I’m going to blame my lighter running out fuel while I was toasting it up.

View attachment 178208

Second third. There are some bursts of orange here and there, and the other flavors merge more into something like an almond toffee. Finish is still very bright, with just a hint of tart. Such a unique smoke. The subtle pepper from before is gone, replaced by a little zesty chili. Just barely there, like a halo over the rest of it. I don’t like a lot of pepper in a smoke, but this little kick of chili spice reminds me of what I get in a Punch Short, and I dig it... so much.
This ash doesn’t quit, hanging on tight as I get near the middle.

View attachment 178209

Overall, this second segment has just brought all the previously noted flavors together in a very smooth blend.

View attachment 178211

This pose is called “Sun Salut-ash-on.”

View attachment 178212

Gotta take that secondary band off now, before I start puffin’ on paper and ink.

Last third: As if announcing the last third, this baby drops its ash on the concrete, luckily not in my lap.

View attachment 178213

“Nooooooooooooooo.....”

As this final act starts, a tangy hickory breaks its way into the mix as well. The almond from before evolves into a slightly salted cashew. The finish morphs into a creamy chocolate, going great with the nutty flavor. Not much else changes, the flavors just get more and more “roasted.”

I end this smoke after an hour and fifty minutes. I always smoke slowly, savoring the finish of each puff. With a name like “The Man’s 80th,” a cigar SHOULD be savored. Can’t wait to have another of these, although I’ll miss them when they’re gone.

View attachment 178214
great review for a great cigar!! My dad and I found a store in ocala Florida called Roz’s with the nicest owner and split a box of these