What's new

RH difference between coolerdor and tupperdors

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Veteran's Home of Wyoming, Buffalo, Wyoming
So, I have 7 Sistema Klip It tupperdors with 65% bovedas and all always read a steady 65% and 68 to 70 degrees.

I also have a 74qt Iris weatherproof (lid has a gasket) plastic container, and it also reads 70 degrees currently, but 70% rh, even though it has been steady at 65% for a couple weeks once I got my Heartfelt beads adjusted properly.

The air conditioning is on the fritz since yesterday, so the temperature in my room is 75 degrees and 65% humidity (unusually high for Wyoming, but its been drizzling the last couple days)

My question is: why is my coolerdor rh so much higher than my tupperdors at the same temperature inside and out, and the same room rh (which shouldn't matter since it should be airtight with the gasket and 6 clips to latch it, unlike my tupperdors which have no gasket, but seem to be airtight anyway)?

Tupperdors are all around 50 to 75% full of loose cigars, and coolerdor has 2 empty cedar boxes and 2 full ones, as well as a large cedar tray, for stabilization. I'd call it 1/4 full roughly.

Why would the only one with an airtight gasket read higher than the tupperdors without, and read even higher than the outside humidity?

Coolerdor has 2 tested, accurate within 1%, hygrometers in it currently.

I'm at a loss as to what's going on here with the coolerdor.

Rh drops to 65% with the lid off, but climbs back to 70% quickly as soon as I put the lid back on.

Any ideas?

Fwiw, this is my first time using Heartfelt beads as I was generously given a pound of them.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
At the risk of sounding like captain obvious, something is over humidified. My guess would be the full boxes of cigars but it could also be the beads. Actually the cedar tray and the empty boxes are suspect too but probably less likely culprits.

I would suggest removing one element for a couple days at a time and see if that helps to narrow it down. My guess is that the tupperdors do not have as good of a seal so they are closer to your ambient RH in your room. The cooler on the other hand has a tighter seal so you are getting a reading closer to what you have inside it. one or more of the items in the cooler are likely over humidified.

One other thing to consider is that Bovedas take weeks if not months to raise or lower the humidity. If I recall the rule of thumb is 1% a week. Assuming the beads would act the same way.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I think Rupe is right. Something is too wet in the coolador.
Also, the volume of a coolador is very large, many cubic inches. When you calibrate you hygrometers you are probably using a ziploc with almost no volume. It still takes many hours to stabilize. For a large volume having many cigars and boxes it will take weeks for the Bovedas and beads to do their work.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think Rupe is right. Something is too wet in the coolador.
Also, the volume of a coolador is very large, many cubic inches. When you calibrate you hygrometers you are probably using a ziploc with almost no volume. It still takes many hours to stabilize. For a large volume having many cigars and boxes it will take weeks for the Bovedas and beads to do their work.
It was steady at 65% for a couple weeks, then suddenly went to 70% even though it had remained closed and nothing was added or removed.

Was just weird that all my tupperdoors remained unchanged, but this jumped up, while still reading the same temperature as the tupperdors.

Also only lasted 1 day. Has been back steady at 65% ever since, even after adding a full box and a couple empty ones.

Just weird

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
Maybe just an electronic glitch or possibly gremlins?

I have also looked at my hygrometers in the past and gotten the temperature mixed up with the humidity. Not saying that’s what happened but it may be a possibility your mind played a trick on you?

Sent from my iPhone using that Tapatalk Thingy

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Maybe just an electronic glitch or possibly gremlins?

I have also looked at my hygrometers in the past and gotten the temperature mixed up with the humidity. Not saying that’s what happened but it may be a possibility your mind played a trick on you?

Sent from my iPhone using that Tapatalk Thingy
Its a large hygrometer so its very easy to see and differentiate, plus I know that the temperature is the top number, and is the only number with a decimal in it

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Since it only happened for 1 day almost 3 weeks ago and quickly settled down to your preferred Rh the next day and everyday since, I wouldn't worry about it. How long do you think your cigars were rolled and remained in their country of origin where the humidity was likely much higher than in your container?

Don't pet the sweaty stuff. IMO this has long run its course unless you just enjoy finding problems. If that's the case, please continue your quest. But it sounds to me like the horse died a long time ago.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Since it only happened for 1 day almost 3 weeks ago and quickly settled down to your preferred Rh the next day and everyday since, I wouldn't worry about it. How long do you think your cigars were rolled and remained in their country of origin where the humidity was likely much higher than in your container?

Don't pet the sweaty stuff. IMO this has long run its course unless you just enjoy finding problems. If that's the case, please continue your quest. But it sounds to me like the horse died a long time ago.
I agree totally.
I am more than happy to let it go.
People keep responding, so I have kept answering