What's new

RH in Tupperdor with Boveda

JrzyHillbilly

You can put anything here.
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Mod, if this should be in another section, please move.

I've got a Tupperdor with 50 cigars and a couple Boveda 69% packs in it. The cigars have been in the Tupperdor for one month or more so I think the RH in the cigars has normalized with the RH in the Tupperdor. I don't have a hygrometer so I can't test the actual RH in the container. The Tupperdor is about 75% full, maybe a little less. Most or all of my cigars are Robusto's, 50 - 52mm ring size, several different brands.

When I smoke a cigar and I try to do the 1 puff per minute thing, after a short while, the cigar seems to go out and I need to do the puff, puff, puff, thing to keep the cigar lit. As a newbie and reading all I can on this site, I've learned that the puff, puff, puff, thing isn't good. I'm really not sure what I'm doing wrong. One (or several) of the posts mentioned it was better to smoke a cigar at closer to 60% RH rather than the 69% I store mine at. Is this accurate and would a small relative RH change keep the cigar lit better? I'm open to suggestions. If I should be storing my cigars at a different RH (different Boveda pack), or I should have a separate smaller Tupperdor that I keep at a lower RH with the next 1 - 3 cigars (for example) I plan to smoke, or something else???

Thanks,
Ken

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I do smoke my cigars at a lower humidity. The other question is are you a grand puffer or a shallow puffer. I pull on the cigar more often then once a minute but I probably take more shallow draws then others. Smoke the way you want to smoke. If you cigar isn't staying lit, pull more often. It isn't a crime. There are lots of tricks to keep a cigar lit, all of which you will learn with experience.

Rating - 100%
44   0   0
Your storage conditions can absolutely affect your burn. Lots of BOTL will advocate 65% RH, but RH is meaningless without temps. 65% RH at 80 degrees is more moist than 65% at 65 degrees. 65%/65F is probably ideal for most sticks, both smoking and aging. Some CC smokers say they smoke better at 60-62%, personally, my CCs get stored at 65%/70F like everything else and they smoke fine.

I like to smoke at my own pace, not the cigar’s pace. Usually, I can set a cigar down for several minutes, come back, and it’s still going. If I have to puff too often and fight to keep it lit, I’ll usually just toss it and move on to something else that I can enjoy. If it’s been sitting a bit, there’s nothing wrong with some puffs to get it burning good again.

JrzyHillbilly

You can put anything here.
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good point about temp that I neglected to add. During the Winter or between Nov and March/April, my house and my cigars are between 65 and 68 degrees F.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same problem when I initially started. It is extremely hot and humid where I love. I actually end up bumping mine down to 65% and the smoke like a champ now. Alotnofnpeople are going to reccomend the 1% per week to stabilize them to the environment.

Another thing I could recommend is dry boxing them for a few days if you already know what you're wanting to smoke.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk