What's new

Right stuff to make cigar glue

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have a good ratio for a xanthan mixture? Been experimenting lately and can't seem to land on a good recipe.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Its not what I use but, I would say make a small batch (1 teaspoon gum 1 teaspoon water), you can always add a drop of water. I like to make it thick. There's more stick.
What is the problem your having?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I have been too high on my water. I read on another forum that 1/5 gum to water ratio was idea, tried that and got no stick, have been lowering the water slowly to not much difference. I will try to 50/50 tonight and see if that gets me anywhere. (I can only roll once in a while so I haven't tried a lot of mixes and I only make as much as i'll need for my one session so not a lot of data to work with but I figured i'd see if anyone had a good mix since I am currently at work waiting to get home and start haha)

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You'll find on another thread that stuff I use is 1/8 gum to water. Tragacanth is said to be the good stuff. ($$) It does dry fast at that rate so I do hit a drop on it in most cases. I also have a wet napkin I touch because there is dry glue on my finger. When its to wet it just wont stick.
Do a small measured batch so you can keep track of what you like. (1/2 teaspoon parts) the other thing a little set op time is needed. I will heat it through on a double boil then, stick it in the fridge before using. I make 2 oz at a time and pull a little out at a time.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm ok. I've never really let mine set up due to time restrictions and lack of preparation on my part. I'll give that a try tonight. Thanks for the advice!

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Maybe I have been too high on my water. I read on another forum that 1/5 gum to water ratio was idea, tried that and got no stick, have been lowering the water slowly to not much difference. I will try to 50/50 tonight and see if that gets me anywhere. (I can only roll once in a while so I haven't tried a lot of mixes and I only make as much as i'll need for my one session so not a lot of data to work with but I figured i'd see if anyone had a good mix since I am currently at work waiting to get home and start haha)
Yeah I do 5:1 but I don't use Tragacanth. I use Bermcoll.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have a good ratio for a xanthan mixture? Been experimenting lately and can't seem to land on a good recipe.
I don’t have an exact ratio but I usually micro wave some water until boiling then as I’m stiring the water I add the xantham a little at a time until it reaches the consistency I want. If the water is hot enough it won’t clump as bad and will be ready to go in 5-10 min. I make it so it is almost like Elmer’s paste. Through it in the fridge and just take a spoonful at a time as you need it. I put a dollop right on my cutting board.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A note on the microwave. Such a small amount boils over very quickly after it heats up. .. just some guesses on a time line here .. initial heating maybe 30 to 40 seconds .. afterwards, 4 to 7 second of time to boil over time. let it boil up 3 or 4 times then cool and, use.
Much easier/faster then the double boiling.