What's new

Ring Guage/Size and flavor

Len___T

n0ob Phreak
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Smoked my first lancero shape last nite...A LFD Dbl Ligero Lancero to be exact...And it was great..I have had several lfd's and have loved them all...but this one blew them all away...I mean perfect burn...draw...more smoke than you can shake a stick at...etc...No probs nonewhatsover...unlike sometimes with the bigger RG's...not all mind you just some every now and then..I have heard that the smaller RG's lend themselves to more flavor...Is this true?..and if so does it aplly across the board to all cigars?...ie A personal fave of mine is the JDN 1970 Antano...Would the flavor be different if I were to pick up the lancero size?...Thanks...len

jrohrer

BoM Jan '07
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
it is, in large amount due to the wrapper. The wrapper influences significantly the flavor of a stick, and in the smaller ring guage cigars, the wrapper is a more prominent portion of the flavor profile.

i think :dunno:

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
I read that the larger ring gauge allows the blender to use more/additional types of leaves for the filler thus adding to the flavor profile. But them again what do I know.

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
dpricenator, I heard that too but my experiences do not support that... especially in CCs. The magic seems to be in the smaller gauges i.e. El Principe,
Fundadores, Inmemnsas and 8-9-8.

Think about it ... the LFD Lancero that Len T likes so much is Litto Gomez' personal smoke. Fidel Castro, who used to smoke Churchills, switched to Cohiba Lanceros and Coronas Especiales exclusively.

A lot of guys in the know go for the smaller gauges. Personally, I can't tell you how many times I've been dissappointed by a HDM DC or Lusitania.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
Right on, I'm a 48+ ring gague guy, but I'm also a bigger guy myself, so the fat stog always seemed to fit. I' guess I'll be trying some smaller rings in the future, thanks.

Cigar_Jack

BoM May 05
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
It depends on where to flavor of the cigar is coming from. A Corona is equal amounts filler, binder, and wrapper and according to some of the companies I've talked to this is the cigar they use to test new blends. I myself prefer cigars to be of 50 ring gauge or less.

Anything bigger and I feel like I'm sucking on something a bit too phallic and the homophobia kicks in a bit. LOL

vperlman

Harleyrider
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
To me, the smaller ring gauges tend to burn hotter. I used to smoke panatelas back in the 60's, largely because they looked cool (they were the most popular size in the US back in the 50's & 60's). Over the years, I fournd that I preferred Churchill and double coronas and that they seemed to smoke cooler. Maybe it's just me...

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
Anything bigger and I feel like I'm sucking on something a bit too phallic and the homophobia kicks in a bit. LOL
If a cigar were a phallic symbol would we, as men, cut one end of it off and set fire to the other end? Much less put it in our mouths?:barf:
Yeah I stole that from a movie:grinFU:

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I definitely have been smoking thinner cigars as time goes on, from almost exclusively 50-ish ring years ago, to more often than not 40-ish ring now. Shorter cigars too. Half my stash is PCs now.

The switch was originally because I rarely have an hour and a half to burn one, and the summer weather in Florida is brutal, but I've come to like them regardless. :pimp1: