What's new

Rock My Ride

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
July 8th I turn 70. To celebrate, I'll ride a murdercycle across country -- a farewell tour. I want to visit all my sisters, grand-children, and great-grandchildren.

En route, I'm looking to beat July heat. So I've divided each day into three legs and a siesta. Leg one, I hit the road at the very asscrack of dawn & drain a tank. Then stop for a quick breakfast. Leg two, drain another tank. By now, it will be getting brutal. So I'll hole up for siesta in some cool spot offering cold beverages. Leg three, a dusk ride while the heat sizzles down, arriving at my lodging. Idea is, every blistering afternoon, I intend to hide under a rock, like any well educated jackrabbit would do. Common sense.

That's where you come in. I'm looking for a few good rocks.

Each afternoon I'd admire to herf up with an internet brother & a good cigar underneath the right rock. Look at this itinerary I've sketched out below, and tell me if you know a relaxing spot roughly two-thirds along any such leg where you and I could burn a gar, drink lemonaid, & chill.

For example, say you live in Kansas City, and you like Isaac Char Cigar Lounge in Topeka... so you PM me and say "let's herf up at Ike's place on your leg from St Louis to Hays, Monday 2nd ... here's my digits." That simple.

Of course, I'm also not averse to "I live in Twin Falls. There's no cigar lounge here. But we can roll a couple stix in my basement. It's cool down there." Cool is key, see. I'll be toting tons of home rolled sticks, so I can supply the uppowoc, you supply the chair. That method saves bucks, and bucks are important too. Extra points if you have a pool.

Nor, for that matter, am I averse to saving a buck on lodging, if someone wants to put up with me, which is no mean feat. I'm shacking with Sketch in Grand Junction, for instance. I warn you I'll be fifty miles up the road by the time you wake up next morning. I'll have tent and bag with me... But my main focus right now is how to beat the heaking freat. I'm old. I don't need to get all exhausted & stroke out into the ditch.

Here follows the rough itinerary. Keep in mind that the last four JIC days are there for a purpose ... Just In Case days. So if it sets to thunderbumbling unreal in St Louis or if I get a flat in Sonora I might blow a JIC day, & that means every day thereafter gets pushed back. Nothing set in stone.

====================================
Sat 30th Newark to Columbus OH 444m 7 1/2h

Sun 1st Columbus to St Louis 420m 6 1/4h
Mon 2nd St Louis to Hays KS 513m 7 1/2h
Tue 3rd Hays KS to Grand Junction CO 580m 8 1/2h
Wed 4th Grand Junction to Ogden UT 350m 7h
Thu 5th w/ Wade
Fri 6th w/ Wade
Sat 7th Ogden to Boise ID 300m 4 1/2h

Sun 8th Boise to Bend OR 320m 5 1/2h
Mon 9th Bend to Susanville CA 400m 8h
Tue 10th Susanville to S Lake Tahoe 200m 5h
Wed 11th S Lake Tahoe to Loope CA 180m 4h
Thu 12th Loope to Sonora Junction 200m 5h
Fri 13th Sonora Junction to Riverside CA 375m 6h
Sat 14th w/ Andrea

Sun 15th w/ Andrea
Mon 16th Riverside to Henderson NV 230m 4h
Tue 17th w/ Patty
Wed 18th Henderson to San Rafael NM 480m 7h
Thu 19th San Rafael to Elk City OK 510m 7 1/2h
Fri 20th Elk City to Clarksville AR 350m 5h
Sat 21st Ozarks Piglet ride 180m 5h

Sun 22nd Clarksville to Bucksnort TN 380m 6h
Mon 23rd Bucksnort to Cruso NC 380m 7h
Tue 24th Cruso to Willsville 230m 7h
Wed 25th Willsville to Waynesboro VA 180m 5h
Thu 26th Skyline to Front Royal VA 100m 4h
Fri 27th home 220m 4h
Sat 28th JIC

Sun 29th JIC
Mon 30th JIC
Wed 31st JIC

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Looks like one hell of a time. Your right about the south. Hot as hell right now in north Texas and will probably be even hotter come July. What bike are you riding?

Angry Bill

2x BoM, BoY '08
Staff member
Rating - 100%
201   0   0
Yabbut here's the deal tho, Angry Bill, is that these rollers are the only guys here I know. I stick to this little corner of your forum. That's why I put it here.
Except that it got reported and needed to be moved to the proper place. Thanks for understanding. They will find it, trust me

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Sounds like a trip. Check the route in NC. Lots of flood damaged roads in the NC mountains. I 40 was closed for awhile east of Asheville. Most should be fixed by the time you come through but some will take a few months.