What's new

Rocky Patel lighter problems

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a rocky Patel 3 torch lighter last summer that I've been having a lot of trouble with it. I believe it's the CFO model. When I first got it it worked fine, then it began acting up. It would only light when it was completely full and the screw was all the way to the plus side, and even then it would take a few strikes for it to "heat up". Most of the time only one torch would light. So I took it back to the shop I bought it from and they replaced it with the same lighter. I initially thought it was just that lighter because the replacement worked better than the original ever did. But now the replacement is starting to do the same stuff. Has anyone else had this problem with a rocky Patel lighter? Is there something I'm doing wrong? Ive only put xikar fluid in both of them and as far as I know I haven't done anything else wrong with it.

smokemifugotem

BoM July '10
Rating - 100%
190   0   1
I had a dual flame that did the same thing. It was a nice lighter....but just never held up. I know that this is probably not the answer you want...but I just got a different one. If your local is still willing to help you...i suggest keep bringing it back or see if you can upgrade it. Best of luck!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the suggestions, I've been looking at the blazers but i hate to waste the money I spent on the rocky patel, especially sense it is supposed to have a lifetime warranty.

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
I see a lot of RP lighters coming back to the shop. They do have a lifetime warranty and all, but personally I feel most of them are just inferior lighters. I would just keep taking the bad ones back until you get lucky with one that actually works better. It's a shame you spent the same money you could have on a xikar lighter and got a lemon. A big problem is that RP doesn't make the lighters, they just stamp a logo on them. You always seem to see better products and support from the companies that make their own products.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Most lighter problems can be attributed to several variables. The common problem with most lighters is that air gets trapped inside and is not purged completely...just because we purge once doesn't mean all that air is removed. Turn it upside down and place that sharp instrument against the valve and continue to remove/purge everything...a few more times should do it. Ensure that you turn your valve all the way to low before ever re charging.

When you recharge ensure that you do it where it's not spitting back at you...that means you are charging the tank with more air. One has to be adept at ensuring that the tube is straight up and down prior to putting it against the valve on lighter....place the lighter upside down on a level surface if you don't trust yourself in getting the lighter level in your hand. Push the can of fuel against the lighter to where only the fuel goes into the lighter...and only for no longer than 8 seconds. Wait about 5 seconds and recharge for another 4 seconds.

Let the lighter take a few minutes to get to room temp ( the fuel inside is still very cold ) and after about 5 minutes adjust the lighter to about 1/4 towards the full level and spark it a couple of times...if it doesn't work turn the adjustment to 1/2 and try again. Usually that will work. Always ensure that when you use any lighter that there is 'spark' when you click it...otherwise you can fill the lighter all day long and you won't get it to work without a spark. Good Luck!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most lighter problems can be attributed to several variables. The common problem with most lighters is that air gets trapped inside and is not purged completely...just because we purge once doesn't mean all that air is removed. Turn it upside down and place that sharp instrument against the valve and continue to remove/purge everything...a few more times should do it. Ensure that you turn your valve all the way to low before ever re charging.

When you recharge ensure that you do it where it's not spitting back at you...that means you are charging the tank with more air. One has to be adept at ensuring that the tube is straight up and down prior to putting it against the valve on lighter....place the lighter upside down on a level surface if you don't trust yourself in getting the lighter level in your hand. Push the can of fuel against the lighter to where only the fuel goes into the lighter...and only for no longer than 8 seconds. Wait about 5 seconds and recharge for another 4 seconds.

Let the lighter take a few minutes to get to room temp ( the fuel inside is still very cold ) and after about 5 minutes adjust the lighter to about 1/4 towards the full level and spark it a couple of times...if it doesn't work turn the adjustment to 1/2 and try again. Usually that will work. Always ensure that when you use any lighter that there is 'spark' when you click it...otherwise you can fill the lighter all day long and you won't get it to work without a spark. Good Luck!
Great advice! Purge completely before refilling everytime and this should help. also make sure you are using a good quality butane, I like the vector quintuple refined. I was having issues with my torch at one point and found the issue was because I was not purging before every refill. Once I began doing that my problems seem to be fixed.

Worth a shot at least and if that doesn't work try a xikar, blazer or ronson..all good alternatives.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I stopped spending money on lighters a long time ago. There are so many freebies around. With that said, the dual flame cigar savor from JR's was a freebie and has been going strong for about 2 years now.
I blew through a few RP southbeach lighters. just can't spend money on something I know will brake and fustraight me down the road.
If it was free, I don't care about tossing it in the trash.

Angry Bill

2x BoM, BoY '08
Staff member
Rating - 100%
201   0   0
Best advice, buy a quality lighter and care for it. I have two Dupont Xtends. I purge them each time, use only DUpont fuel and have not had any problems in the 3 years I have had them.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks again everyone for the suggestions and help. Ill be sure to go through the whole purge and fill process every time I top it off. Hopefully this one will start acting right.