What's new

Rocky Patel Vintage 90 - Robusto

earnold25

Eran
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
Details
Actual contents of this blend were hard to come by. Found this on stogie review.

Wrapper: Honduras
Binder: Mexico
Filler: Dominican Republic, Nicaragua
Size: 5.5" x 50 (Robusto)

Pre-Light
Wrapper on this cigar is simply perfect. Cleanly boxed pressed. No blemishes or noticeable veins. Color is consistent throughout and fairly dark, but not blackish like The Edge.

Clipping was tricky. (I have trouble clipping any box pressed cigar really). I tried to sliver the end off but ended up popping the cap off with my attempt. C'est la vie.

Light
The trouble I have clipping this cigar counteracts the ease of lighting it. Nothing note-worthy here.

1st Third
The initials flavors I notice are spicy (but not peppery) and cocoa beans. Maybe a hint of espresso. Oh, and nutty flavors too.

2nd Third
Spiciness still present along with the cocoa beany flavor. Now for me, when I hear spiciness, I don't like the sound of that, but for some reason, it just works with this cigar for me. Maybe because I'm not that big on pepper, and this isn't that kind of spice.

Last Third
More of the same really. Flavors don't seem to change a whole lot with this cigar, but it doesn't get any duller either.

Overall Burn
Burn on this cigar was perfect. I easily had a 3 inch ash, even with the windy conditions and me putting the cigar down several times. The smoke was voluminous and dense.

Conclusion
This really is one of my favorite cigars and writing a unbiased review was kind of tough. I can't really say why this is one of go-to sticks other than I enjoy the blend of flavors and consistency of those good flavors between sticks. I sometimes find it hard to try new cigars as I always want to smoke these when I see them.

sarnone

Mithrandir
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
earnold, I haven't tried one in about a year...didn't care for it much then but have been thinking about going after it again. Thanks for the review....I'm getting the impression that you like cigars:pimp2:

kirscovitch

Mad Matt
Rating - 100%
51   0   0
another nice review. the RP 90's and 92's are in the top 5 nc's for me. however, if you havent had the 99's yet, dont bother. way to mild imho.

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
I like the 90 and 92, but I really prefer the 92.

I just bought my first 99 this week; might try it this weekend to see what it's like.

earnold25

Eran
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
I wasn't too impressed with the 99 I had either. Or was it the RP Connecticut? I don't remember. I don't smoke too many CS wrappers. Just about all I've had are way too leathery for me.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
Thanks for the review....I haven't had a Vintage in a while and never in that size. Might be time to try one out again