What's new

RoMa Craft CroMagnon - CoM July 2016 (Cigar of the Month)

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
Post your reviews here!

Wrapper: Connecticut Broadleaf Maduro
Binder: Cameroon
Filler: Nicaragua

The Knuckle Dragger, a 4 x 52 Petit Robusto - ($6.50)
The Mandible, a 4 ½ x 60 Petite Gordo - ($7.50)
The Mode 5, a 5 x 50 Short Perfecto - ($7.25)
The EMH, a 5 x 56 Robusto Extra - ($8.00)
The Anthropology, a 5 ¾ x 46 Grand Corona - ($7.50)
The Cranium, a 6 x 54 Gran Toro - ($8.50)

Store Exclusive/Event Only
The Atlatl, a 7 x 38 Lancero - ($9.50)
The Slobberknocker, a 7 x 56 Gigante - ($12.00)
The Femur, a 10 x 133 1/3 Gigante - ($50.00)
The Breuil, a 5 1/2 x 37 Panetela - ($7.50)
The Blockhead, a 6 x 54 Box-Pressed Toro - ($9.50)
The Epoch, a 7 x 49 Churchill - ($10.00)
The Venus, a 6 1/2 x 56 Petite Salamones - ($10.00)
The Pestera Muierilor, a 4 x 46 Petite Corona - ($6.25)
The Firecracker, a 3 1/2 x 50 - ($6.99)

From romacrafttobac.com:

Medium to Full Strength. Full Flavor.
The CroMagnon contains a long-filler, full-bodied blend of some of the world’s most sought after tobaccos. It features a beautiful US Connecticut Broadleaf Maduro wrapper, a unique Cameroon binder and an amazing marriage of three Nicaraguan varietals in the filler.
The filler leaf for this blend was acquired from three separate growing regions in Nicaragua: Esteli, Condega and a small farm north of Esteli on the Honduran border. This third leaf, a ligero, brings a strong, smoky, savory flavor to the blend. When combined with the mildly-sweet characteristics of the broadleaf maduro wrapper, the exotic bite of the Cameroon binder and the clean finish of its viso and seco companions, the blend delivers the precise deep rich tobacco flavor we wanted to present in the CroMagnon.
CroMagnon transcends lifestyle. CroMagnon is our culture.​

Prior CoM reviews can be found HERE

IronW

Andrew
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
I smoked a Pestera Muierilor, a 4 x 46 Petite Corona

The cold draw was tight so I tried a poker which helped but only minimally.
I've noticed some construction issues like that on many RoMa Craft cigars lately

1st Third - Slightly buttery with some pepper, nice and smooth.
2nd Third - The butter has been replaced with a mild creaminess with pepper and a touch of woody flavors
Final Third didn't change much and started getting a bit hot, in part due to the small size of this vitola.

Overall the Cromagnon is a great little smoke with several subtle flavor changes throughout.
Personally I still preffer the Aquitaine though.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Smoked this one on the ride home today, a Mode 5:2016-07-24 21.47.43.jpg

Started out as smooth as butter, with little spice. Even the retrohale was smooth. I felt like there was a slight bread dough flavor to it.
I was pretty hungry and grabbed a steak quesorita and tea to go with it. Kept it going while scarfing down dinner which had its own spicy kick.
Continuing on I naturally had more spice but then as dinner washed out of my palate, it brought on a buttery pepper steak flavor at the half way point. This was only for a couple draws then back to the peppery smooth stogie.
2016-07-24 21.49.14.jpg
As I was finishing the cigar I found I was hitting it too fast as the draw was hot and still ok, but not great. It was time to head into the house.

Rating - 100%
39   0   0
having smoked a few of these in the past 2 months (along with some aquitaines) i realize my tastes have changed, as i am starting to like the cromags more than the aquitaine blend. 6 months ago, there was no discussion - aquitaine was better.
for those interested, my review for the aquitaine (from the first botl cigar of the month review): http://www.botl.org/threads/roma-craft-aquitaine-review-com-jan-2016-cigar-of-the-month.84882/page-2

vitola / construction: the mode 5 is my go-to vitola for roma craft. i have yet to try the lancero (atlatl), but the price for the mode 5 is fantastic. construction is excellent - an oily-sheen on the wrapper. burn lines throughout were above average, with no touchups needed.

cold draw: mild pepper and a semi-sweet chocolate note, along with a hint of espresso. im not a coffee drinker, so it might be coffee, but to sound more sophisticated, im going with espresso.

first third: there is a leathery taste that i didnt get from the cold draw. it has some pepper, but not much, and it mixes well with the coff...errr.. espresso and chocolate.

The middle third (and final third) gets a bit more creamy, just as the aquitaine does. it also gains a sweetness, similar to a maple-syrup, or even a simple syrup. the pepper is still there, but quite faint. also, the middle is where it gets really, really smokey.

the cromag, to me, now beats the aquitaine. but what do i know...?

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Cromag is one of my favorites... You simply can't beat the price.... The quality of the wrap is exceptional and everyone I have ever smoked has been consistent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk