What's new

RoMa Craft Neanderthal - CoM Jan 2017 (Cigar of the Month)

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
Post your reviews here!

Country of Manufacture: Nicaragua
Wrapper: Mexican San Andrés Maduro
Binder: Connecticut Broadleaf
Filler: Dominican Republic, Nicaragua & Pennsylvania

Sizes Produced:
HN 5 x 52/58
SGP 4.25 x 52
GD 4.25 x 52 (wrapper tweak)
HoxD 4 x 46
OM 7 x 38 Lancero

From forum sponsor jrcigars.com:
RoMa Craft Neanderthal is a premium cigar tailor made for the smoker who loves a powerful smoke yet still demands a lot of refinement and complexity. To create this special recipe, a San Andres Maduro wrapper, which is dark, toothy, and oily, covers a Connecticut broadleaf binder and very rare Pennsylvania double ligero filler tobaccos that add a robust and spicy sweetness to the blend. This intense and truly one of a kind smoke will offer you a remarkable taste that is unlike anything you have experienced before!​

Prior CoM reviews can be found HERE

NOGILLS2

Navigator
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Not sure what I have gotten myself into. Just read reviews of Neanderthal. It states that this is a full body cigar. I am afraid for a couple of reasons. 1 I may fall head over heals in love with this stick. 2 Or I am going go completely the other way and hate it beyond measure. I have learned that a big meal will help before this stick. But I am looking forward to it.

NOGILLS2

Navigator
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Wow, This cigar revealed to me that I have grown as a newbie cigar smoker. After reading a couple of reviews of this cigar online, I became afraid of it. I realized that I would either love it or hate it and never want to return. Instead I developed a strategy to experience it. I ate a good meal before smoking it. ( note: I am vegan so it was not a steak and potato.)
20170112_135522.jpg
20170112_132904.jpg
I used a punch to open up the cap of the cigar. I really like the construction of this cigar, it was firm to the touch and toothy, with a slight oiliness to it. I really enjoyed the feeling of this stick in my hand. I also was reading while smoking, this allowed me to take my time to smoke properly and not grow impatient and smoke to fast. Although this cigar allows you to draw twice in a row without heating up the stick and change the flavor and taste.

I kept some crackers and water, so when I would feel the nicotine, I would eat a cracker to alleviate the feeling. The entire cigar produced a great chewy smoke. I did not experience the pepperiness I was warned about in the reviews, however there was a slight pepper to it at times. Smoke time was 1 hour and 35 minutes.

The first third was very cool and quite pleasant, I was expecting this stick to take my head off, but I was surprised at the mildness of the cigar. It held it's ash for 1.5 inches, and I chose to knock it before ashing myself. In fact It held it's ash consistently.

The second third continued cool and smooth and with full chewy smoke. Still remained pleasant.

The final third the stick it changed, the smoke became thread, and the taste changed, it became hot, and finally became bitter, but as you'll see I smoked it to the nub about an inch. I should have stopped a couple of draws sooner. The after experience was standard, I became light headed and sweaty which lasted about 20 minutes. At this time I realized I needed a cold shower!
20170112_145120.jpg
20170112_152548.jpg
All in all This was a great experience as a newbie, as I discovered that fear can be alleviated by facing the giant, to realize the experience is not as bad as my fears said it would be. I also learned more about myself. I am looking forward to next months choice!

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
No review but some tasting notes from a cigar I loved when it came out.

OR Neanderthal HN July 2015
SanAndres/CT BL/DR Olor Ligero.Nic.PA BL Green River Sucker One
Gorgeous artisan roll, flat head & a "perfecto"ish taper. Heavy peat, pepper & floral tobacco aroma. Mineral, soft cocoa, hay & dank tobacco cold draw. Punch cut on the flat head reveals a perfect draw. 1st- Heavy dark chocolate, espresso, black pepper & sweet date. Wood, leather & a slightly salty earth flit in and out. Full start. Excellent construction & performance. Smooth retro. 2nd- dynamic changes & always developing. Meaty broadleaf sweetness on San Andres spice. Complex & flavorful. 1:10 Full 25/30

OR Neanderthal.jpg

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
95   0   0
The stories of the Neanderthal being lethally strong are overblown.

Skip *does not make* cigars that aren't fun to smoke. This cigar is great; if you like it and you like skinnies, get yourself some of the lancero in this blend.
I didn't find them to be overly strong either.

Lancero you say? Interesting.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
The stories of the Neanderthal being lethally strong are overblown.

Skip *does not make* cigars that aren't fun to smoke. This cigar is great; if you like it and you like skinnies, get yourself some of the lancero in this blend.
I think when they were first released fresh and wet they might have hit a little heavy but yeah theyre not smoking that strong anymore. I actually prefer the HN to the SGP, havent tried the Lance.

atllogix

It's not @ Logix
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
The first time and the last time I smoked an HN I got sick in the 1st third and had to put it out and eat lunch to return to it, now, that was on an empty stomach cause I didn't have breakfast. Well now I am preparing all sorts of stuff to eat to ensure hunger isn't the reason I get sick. These have been resting for a little while now so maybe it won't be so strong, but you know, what is the rate that nicotine content drops with aging. I got sick the first time I smoked a Anejo Shark fresh, 5 yrs later same box and I'm still got sick.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
The first time and the last time I smoked an HN I got sick in the 1st third and had to put it out and eat lunch to return to it, now, that was on an empty stomach cause I didn't have breakfast. Well now I am preparing all sorts of stuff to eat to ensure hunger isn't the reason I get sick. These have been resting for a little while now so maybe it won't be so strong, but you know, what is the rate that nicotine content drops with aging. I got sick the first time I smoked a Anejo Shark fresh, 5 yrs later same box and I'm still got sick.
Smoking in a crowded cigar bar with ambient smoke can have an affect as well. Ive found one year really takes the punch out. Hope you have a better experience.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Could be wrong, but I think a lot of the monster strength reports originated from Skip's Instagram before they were ever released. I'm guessing he tried some prototype blends that were potent, and overall they are definitely stronger young. So when everyone was smoking them ROTT when they first came out to be first at reviewing, they were plenty beefy.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Picked up a Lancero today, looking fwd to it and will try to take some notes. Those of you who've had em so far, any drink suggestions to pair with?

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Found it "ok". Wouldnt buy again.

This was the stogies special neanderthal available at the shop in Houston.

Not a bad stick, decent power. Tangy flavor on the front end. Nothing stood out as amazing, could have been the jalepeno olive in my manhattan but burned it for 1.5 hrs so a good sample.

All that said, i enjoyed, just not as much as other lanceros in the price range ($10).

Cheers fellas.

IMG_0536.JPG

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
Found it "ok". Wouldnt buy again.
This was the stogies special neanderthal available at the shop in Houston.
Not a bad stick, decent power. Tangy flavor on the front end. Nothing stood out as amazing, could have been the jalepeno olive in my manhattan but burned it for 1.5 hrs so a good sample.
All that said, i enjoyed, just not as much as other lanceros in the price range ($10).
Cheers fellas.
Looks like you had a good one just prior, too! (y)
(El T?)

atllogix

It's not @ Logix
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
00.jpg

Cigarro: Roma Craft Neanderthal HN
Fábrica: Nica Sueno
Capa: Mexico (San Andres Maduro)
Capote: U.S. (Connecticut Broadleaf)
Tripa: Dominican Republic/Nicaragua/U.S. (Pennsylvania - Green River Sucker One)
Dimensions: 5 x 52/58
Vitola: Figurado
Production: Core Line/Regular Production
MSRP: $12.00 USD
Released: OCT 2014

01.JPG

Prelude
Skip Martin & Michael Rosales launched CroMagnon in 2009. It garnered a lot of attention from the cigar community, particularly those frequenting online communities, providing a unique bold flavor profile and also for not having an associated cigar band. According to Halfwheel, Skip told them "Neanderthal is the blend I had in mind when we started working on CroMagnon." "The truth is, I did not have the experience or skill to make this cigar in 2009." Neanderthal has been released in multiples sizes including one barber pole wrapped take on the petite robusto. Today I'll be reviewing the first released vitola, HN, abbreviation for Homo Neanderthalensis.

02.JPG 03.JPG

"Before The Flame"
The Neanderthal sports a beautiful dark brown wrapper. There is a good amount of oil and an abundance of tooth that sits low. The aromas emitted are of leather, barnyard, pepper, and cedar. Due to HN's extremely flat cap I opted to use something I've never used in the past to cut the cap of a cigar, a box cutter. This proved to be very efficient and exact. Upon the cold draw I was greeted with flavors of red pepper, white pepper, cream, salt, and dried fruit.

04.JPG

1/3 "The Appetizer"
PEPPER. Right out the gate there is red pepper in the mouth and black pepper on the tongue and sinuses. More notes are detected despite the pepper being so bold; this would include chocolate, earth, and spice. There is also a sweetness that tags along with some fruit flavor. A little ways in and I'm picking up a mesquite flavor with a zesty lemon pepper. The sweet fruit is almost like a sugary artificial orange drink flavor, reminiscent of Orange Fanta that's gone flat. Almost as fast as I noticed the mesquite, it departs, leaving behind cedar and floral. It is now that I see just how layered the flavors are. At roughly an inch the chocolate charges forward. A sweet, orangey, peppery, chocolate with spice is the best way to describe what it is I taste. This third is really delicious, and as it comes to a close I get a bit of anise.

05.JPG

2/3 "Main Entrée"
Chocolate is in abundance. The fruitiness has died down, but the tangy quality remains. Pepper is still around, especially on the retrohale. There's some earthy elements trying to get in the picture and the profile isn't as sweet as it once was. Leather and a dark mesquite flavor emerge. There are notes of cream and coffee. Earth grows in the 2nd; while chocolate is no longer front and center.

06.JPG

3/3 "Dessert"
That tangy citrus is back. I suppose it was lost somewhere in the flavors of the 2nd. Chocolate is near non-detectable levels, but shortly after taking notice they reappear. The pepper has gained in intensity. A lot of earth, with some chocolate and mesquite near the front. Pepper and citrus tang fall secondary to them. Chocolate notes make another attempt at the leading flavor throne. The profile is chocolate, earth, some floral, along with pepper. Coffee and nuts are tasted as I approach the nub. The nub consisted of chocolate, sweetness, tangy pepper, spice, herb, some earth along with nuts, floral notes, cedar and saltiness.

07.JPG

Intensity
Neanderthal HN is full strength, full flavored, medium-full in body that eventually moves up to full bodied.

Construction
The burn line was a bit off in the 1st, but into the 2nd, it's straight on with a little waving. The wrapper began forming a few little cracks in some areas, though this did not have any significant impact during the smoke. The last third would see a few relights necessary.

Closing Thoughts
The first time I smoked a Neanderthal I wasn't prepared for the strength that it comes with, which I smoked it on an empty stomach. Needless to say, I took the measures this time around to mitigate feeling ill, and to much success. This is a full cigar by any term, but the fullness of it doesn't dictate the flavor profile. This is a very complex cigar with a bouquet of various flavors. Neanderthal fits right where it should in the Roma Craft portfolio, right at the top. Top in terms of strength, and for me, top as a matter of performance. While $12 is a bit out of my comfortable range for an everyday cigar, this is an absolutely superb smoke, and the pricing fits what the cigar delivers.

08.JPG

Smoking Time: 2 hours 47 minutes
Pairing: Zero Water
Scoring: 94/100

000.jpg