Stogie_Bear

Chulo Savage
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
Date: 7th day of December, the year 2014
Review: Room 101 Namakubi LTD Sucio
Size: 7x48 Churchill
MSRP: $9.50

Smoking Environment: Today has been a mash up of lethargy and laziness. I’ve literally done nothing all day, deservedly so, after an intense 15 hour work day on a Saturday to close out my financial reporting for November. So, it passes 3 o’clock in the afternoon and my dogs start to look at me like I’m the most indolent f***ing human they’ve ever laid eyes on. Ha, I guess I could get up for a walk. It’s Florida, so undoubtedly the weather outside is deliberately antagonizing Father Winter with a big middle finger. In other words, it’s nice out, 71 degrees with a sunshine that warms you down to your core and a breeze just heavy enough to rustle the treetops into a melody of white noise. I walk the dogs and find a renewed energy for the day, so I decide to delve into the waiting list of sticks I have personally decided on or been asked to review. First up...

Wrapper: Ecuador Habano
Binder: Honduran
Filler: Dominican, Honduran
Factory: Camacho Factory, Honduras

Appearance/construction: Right off the bat, I notice the quadruple cap. Nicely done, although I’m not sure if the fourth wrap was intentional or just an on-the-fly modification. Generally well packed cigar, a little on the soft side but consistent through the entire length and a good rebound. The color is a medium brown with a slight change in the shade of the wrapper, shifting lighter to darker from foot to cap. A few apparent veins and creases in the wrapper, but nothing that should disrupt the burn. Dry-feeling and smooth wrapper, with minimal tooth.

Aroma Pre-Light:
Pepper and cedar. Enough pepper to make me sneeze haha.

Cold draw:
Straight cut. A note of sweetness that is hard to pinpoint, with a note of cedar and leather. Very easy draw.

Light:
It took some heavy toasting, but finally lights evenly with my third cedar plank.

First impression:
Red pepper and dark leather right off the bat along with an abundance of smoke. I’ve already subscribed to the fact that this baby is going to give me a run for my money, but then the spice quickly drops into a mellow lull of warm pepper. Yum.

Aroma Post-Light: The aroma is a sharp earthiness, and just raw tobacco.

First Third: This looks like a slow burner. The flavors are still a pepper medley (spicy and sweet) and leather strong enough to bring the baseball glove reference into play again, and earth. The flavor profile is already very deep, showing me four or five different notes in just the first third, with a backdrop of dry cedar in the aroma and roof of my mouth. The ash is dusty and falls off under an inch. The smoke volume is great, producing dense clouds of silver. One thing I notice is the smoke is already showing heat, which could be attributed to the soft fill. It’s not bad and not intense, but it does make the smoke a little spicier. I’m also encountering some burn issues almost to the point of a canoe, but then it self-corrects. Moving into the second third, all of these flavors are starting meld together into a nice meal of a cigar. It’s definitely a medium-full bodied smoke.

Second Third: I didn’t feel any inconsistency in the fill upon my initial visual inspection, but now that I am in the second third the draw has tightened only slightly enough to notice it. Smoke production is still on par, and the burn is even for now. With the little resistance on the draw I am beginning to smoke faster. There are some dark peppercorn and salty flavors coming into the mix. I hate to reuse yet another references, but it tastes like steak. This time matched with the sweet and spicy pepper medley, I’m reminded of a habanero and sweet pepper glazed flank steak I had a few weeks back… damn, I’m making myself hungry with this one. Someone find me a cigar that tastes like baked potatoes so I can smoke them at the same time! Back to the increased resistance on the draw, I realized that it also cut the heat back down. The middle of the cigar is delightfully flavorful. The leather has mostly dissipated, with strong cedar and earth remaining in back of the palate, top of the mouth, and in the aftertaste. The sweetness has also become more evident in the spicy retrohale, which brings a good balance to the entire experience.

Final Third:Ok, considering I save about the last inch for ‘nub’ status, I have hit the last third. Abruptly, the cigar nearly dies on me and I have to resuscitate with quick repeated puffs. I feel like an EMT, all of a sudden, as I write that… haha! Huge amounts of smoke coming out of this stick since reviving it. The sweetness is beginning to fade and black pepper and earthiness taking the forefront. I’m picking up some roasted grain as well, and the heat is beginning to build back up. The nub has held up to the battering of my teeth, which is great. I hate when they fall apart on me, and unfortunately that repels me from making repeated purchases of a stick. Not the case here. The retrohale has become too spicy for me to handle as I remove the band and enter into ‘nub’ status.

The heat has kicked up a beat, unleashing an unholy plethora of spice and peppercorn. Still not unbearable, but the smoke production is just insane. The smoke has become sticky and dense, which I love. I got a hint of jalapeno and lime out of nowhere, and it’s gone as fast as it arrived! Tricky, tricky…

The burn has started to go severely uneven the closer I get to cap, so I’m going to put this one down.

Overall Impression/Final Notes: Honestly, I’ve liked a few of the smokes coming out of the Camacho factory but most were not for me. This stick was dark and flavorful, enjoyable. It seemed a little inconsistent at times but the flavor profile kept this stick interesting, which is even more important for me when smoking vitolas longer than 5 inches. It’s also vital to note that my B&M has had these in the humidor aging for at least a year.

Smoke time: 1h50m
Scoring:

Appearance and Presentation: 17/20
Lighting and Burning Properties: 12/15
Construction Properties: 26/30
Taste Properties: 33/35

Total:
88/100

Author’s Note: As always, I welcome any constructive criticism so that my reviews can continue to grow in strength and depth. I will try my best to review sticks that have not been previously reviewed here and that are generally “available.” As a service to my brothers, I intend to write with as much detail as I can muster, and with an honest opinion. However, it is only MY opinion, so please try a stick before you buy a box if you have any intention of being fiscally responsible with this beloved affliction for fine tobacco that we all have. Also, all cigars are kept humidified at 68% and dry boxed for at least 8 hours before enjoying. Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Sounds like a pretty solid cigar! Yet another great review brother! It's becoming common that cigar reviews make my mouth water...

It’s Florida, so undoubtedly the weather outside is deliberately antagonizing Father Winter with a big middle finger. In other words, it’s nice out, 71 degrees with a sunshine that warms you down to your core and a breeze just heavy enough to rustle the treetops into a melody of white noise.
Sounds so much better than the sleet and wind pounding against my window most of the day...

I hate to reuse yet another references, but it tastes like steak. This time matched with the sweet and spicy pepper medley, I’m reminded of a habanero and sweet pepper glazed flank steak I had a few weeks back… damn, I’m making myself hungry with this one.

Never be afraid to reference steak!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great review im ahuge fan of this smoke and alot of room 101s big payback in my mind is best cigar on the market for price!