What's new

Rum recommendations?

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Well, I just finished my bottle of Plantation 20th Anniversary. It was damn delicious, and I intend to get another soon. In the meantime however, I was hoping y'all could recommend me a rum. This time I want to try something a little on the sweeter side. I have been eyeing Diplomatico, but figured I would ask the brethren for recommendations first.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
IF you are looking for a sweet rum Diplomatico Reserve Exclusiva will scratch that itch for you. 41 grams sugar/liter but very flavorful with vanilla , butterscotch and brown sugar notes. Pretty good when paired with something like an Oliva V

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Sweeter than Plantation 20th? That will take some trying. The 20th has too much sugar added to pass the new 20g/L maximum regs the EU recently put in place. They won't be able to sell it as rum in Europe.

Diplomatico will definitely drink sweet, though. I've never tried it as most of my rum friends describe it as more of a liquour profile. Not my thing...

To me, the El Dorado Demerera rums drink sweet. Heavy on the brown sugar note.

If you ever get the chance, try FourSquare Exceptional Cask series. No additives, but amazing rum. Not cheap, but considered to be among the best (if not the best) rum in the world. Might change your opinion of which rum profile you prefer.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
IF you are looking for a sweet rum Diplomatico Reserve Exclusiva will scratch that itch for you. 41 grams sugar/liter but very flavorful with vanilla , butterscotch and brown sugar notes. Pretty good when paired with something like an Oliva V
You convinced me. I haven't ever bought rum that I can recall. I now have a bottle of Diplomatico Reserve Exclusiva pairing with a Tat Verocu...
Both seem yummy to me!20200720_182117.jpg
The Diplomatico seems to coat your mouth, not unpleasantly or anything, kind of buttery like.
20200720_182444.jpg

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Glad you enjoyed it, just a note I'm trying to respond to this post after making a pitcher of Rum Punch with overproof rum and it's really difficult to do. Damn talk about sneaking up and kicking your ass..

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Glad you enjoyed it, just a note I'm trying to respond to this post after making a pitcher of Rum Punch with overproof rum and it's really difficult to do. Damn talk about sneaking up and kicking your ass..
Well, i know what I'm mixing up this weekend. With my cheap bottle of Bacardi though.

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Circling back on this...got the Diplomatico and DAMN is it tasty. Very sweet but it also has an impressive burn to it that I find delightful. This is, so far, my favorite rum.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I haven't had in a longggg time but I'm surprised nobody mentioned Ron Zacapa rum!? It's been a while since I've even cracked the bottle open but that one and Diplomatico come to mind for sweet IMO. Maybe even some Flor De Cana???? Might be a bit on the smoother side for that though.