What's new

Rutgers Football

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
Big win today against Navy! Bowl eligebile! 6-2! :blob: :blob:

PS I am Rutgers Alum, the game was a ton of fun!

Rating - 100%
33   0   0
I'm still shocked that folks admit to this day that they attended Rutgers. :bigeyes: I mean with that school's history it's got to be disgraceful to admit to it to other folks. Here's a school that in my opionion just doesn't get it. If they want to be big time sports they need to change their policy on acceptance for athletes. If they want to be big time academically say like Princeton or Northwestern then they need to up their standards. Guys make a decision already and stick with it!! You can't have it both ways!! :nono:

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
I have to disagree. I think it is very respectable that they want their players to be well rounded. You're basically saying, screw being educated which will help you in life and play for us. I think Rutgers wants their players to walk away with a good education and still play some good football. I think they are moving in the right direction.

owljones

habanoholics anonymous
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Finally a winning season! Bowl eligible too!

On a side note, Tom, I think Erich is talking about the university in general, not about the student atheletes. He has a point. Rutgers could've gone the route of a top notch academic university, but it seems like they're not going that direction. And they are certainly not a sports powerhouse.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
Oh, that is definitely true, they're in the middle....little bit of both. Good in some aspects, crappy in another.

I enjoyed every minute of going there though.

Rating - 100%
33   0   0
Charles, totally understood where my point was coming from. Rutgers has long been dealing with this deliema. It seems like they just can't make up their mind which course they'd rather follow. At times it seems like they've wanted to really become a stellar academic instituition but then other times they've talked about going big time in Football and BBall. I think it's honorable and proper that they want their athletes to graduate and gradulate with a degree that is actually worth something. Not like some major football school's today.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
Erich, I understand what you mean. I was just arguing that I think it is a good thing they try to do both even though that won't make you successful at both.

CoventryCat86

Banned
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
LMAO, you guys spolied UCONN's homecoming this year!!!

I'm a UCONN alum but I think it's a freakin' JOKE that they've tried to upgrade to IA football.

I hope they lose more games.....

CoventryCat86

Banned
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
ehdg said:
Charles, totally understood where my point was coming from. Rutgers has long been dealing with this deliema. It seems like they just can't make up their mind which course they'd rather follow. At times it seems like they've wanted to really become a stellar academic instituition but then other times they've talked about going big time in Football and BBall. I think it's honorable and proper that they want their athletes to graduate and gradulate with a degree that is actually worth something. Not like some major football school's today.
Spelling and punctuation is not taught at Duke eh? :skew:

We may suck at football but basketball is another story. I forgot who we beat to win the National Championship in 1999.

OH YEAH, IT WAS DUKE

LOL!!!

Rating - 100%
33   0   0
CoventryCat86 said:
Spelling and punctuation is not taught at Duke eh? :skew:

We may suck at football but basketball is another story. I forgot who we beat to win the National Championship in 1999.

OH YEAH, IT WAS DUKE

LOL!!!
Sorry bout my spelling. I'm sorry maybe in future I'll try to double check my spelling before posting on these boards if I have time! :grinFU:

Since you mentioned about beating us which sadly I must admit you did and deserve kudos for. How bout we talk about how upstanding a program UConn is and how honorable a couple of your BBall players have turned our recently. I'll give you a short critque here:

Felony charges where brought against A.J. Price and Marcus Williams after they tried to pawn some stolen laptops.

Some quick notes:

Here's a pretty thorough recap of what's known about the case from the Bristol Press.
The third suspect, Thaddeus Ferguson, has been referred to as Williams' cousin, although that's not conclusively established yet.
After they realized the trouble they were in, they tried to return the laptops, leaving behind even more evidence.
A third player, Hilton Armstrong, tried to help return the laptops, but there is no evidence he was involved. He has not been charged with anything.
The police believe Ferguson was the actual thief and that Price and Williams conspired to sell the laptops.
The laptops were stolen not just from fellow students but from fellow-athletes: two from freshmen women's basketball players, and two from members of women's track and field.
They asked fellow student Christine Pettingell for a ride to pawn shops, but couldn't sell the pc's. They couldn't even give her gas money so she kicked them out of her car!
When she got back, she found out her friend's laptop had been stolen, and she reported the basketball players.
Text message from Hilton Armstrong to Price: "We need to know where the other one's are. I'm tryin' to get in the suites. where you at?"
Text message from Price to Armstrong: "On my way back frm boston ... How can u get the other labtops back to the owners without u sayin you goth them frm me ... Cause they tryna lock me."

For this Price was suspended from the Team and School for one year while Williams was suspended for 1 semester and will miss only 11 games. Also Price will not be allowed housing at UConn for 3 years or use of the dining facilities.

I also forgot to mention that the lap tops stolen are valued at approx. $11,000.00 thats a lot of lap tops if you ask me and 2 of them where even found in Price's dorm room. I mention the amount just so you don't think this was a minor thing and just 1 or 2 lap tops taken.

Sure makes one wonder what type of Student Athletes UConn is bringing in these days. Though I really should paint the entire school cause of 2 bad eggs but sure is pretty damning if you ask me.