What's new

Safety Razor Shaving

cartisdm

Young & Eager
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
I alternate between a safety razor and a straight edge. There's a couple guys on BOTL that do it regularly as well.

For tips, you may want to check out badgerandblade.com and lurk around a bit. If you're not prone to ingrown hairs and razor burn, just jump right in and start trying out different blades, creams, brushes and techniques. If you do have sensitive skins, then just read up on ways to prevent ingrown hairs and burn. Mostly from having a sharp blade, smooth strokes, and plenty of prep to the skins.

Get it right and you'll have the best shave of your life!

BigFoot

Jose
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Been de shaving for about 10 years. Love it. Definitely stop by b&b as those guys know there shit. A good brush, a good blade and some fine cream and you ll be on your way to an awesome shave.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've been using a safety razor for about 5 years now. I love it. In the beginning youu need to break the habit of using a modern razor. Another wards, 1 or 2 SLOW strokes over one area will remove all the hair instead of going over the same area quickly 4 or 5 times. Your face will need about 2 weeks to adjust to the new method of shaving. I can't imagin going back to a modern razor.

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
i use a straight/safety (not sure of the difference) as well as the regular gilette razors. The saftety/straight razor is used to trim in my goatee and the pencil thin latino mustache portion.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I can't remember the last time I used anything other than a straight razor...

Exfoliate regularly, make sure your skin is good and warm before starting (to soften the hair). I often shave after a work out. Pull the skin tight when shaving Use a good lotion to moisturize. Added bonus: keeps you looking younger than you really are.

jjon90

CRA Member
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
YouTube is your friend.. I do both Safety and Straight.

[YOUTUBE]3rAYlxtaJyA[/YOUTUBE]

smokingIsh

BoM July '09
Rating - 100%
171   0   0
I have been shaving with a safety razor for the past couple of years. I suggest shieboxsgaveshop.com for intro packages. Great guy to do business with. Feather blades can't go wrong!

Dr. Xikar

The Knife Doctor
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
University of Mount Union, Alliance, Ohio
However, I'm self-employed doing professional restorations on antique shaving equipment. If you have a DE, Safety, or Straight razor that you want to use, I can polish it, shine it, and get it functioning for you. Straight razors I can handle anything from rust to pitting to tarnish AS LONG AS IT'S IN SALVAGEABLE CONDITION (deep rust, or destroyed spines can't be fixed). With DE and Safety razors, rust is more final (since there are more moving parts) but I can take a tarnished, dirty, ugly Safety/DE and make it shine and a pleasure to use.

Hit me up by PM or in this thread if you have anything I can help with

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I've been contemplating a switch to a de for a while now. I keep looking at the Gillette adjustable's on eBay but I'm not sure that I won't end up looking as though I've been a knife fight !

cartisdm

Young & Eager
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
So last night was my 3rd time shaving with the DE and it's progressively getting better. Did 3 passes and only a few nicks. Can't wait to shave again lol
Nice work! :applause:

Are you using a shave brush and making your own lather or using the regular can shaving cream?

Rating - 98.7%
91   1   2
Using a brush, I picked up a cheap kit last night from Wal-Mart that came with the brush, mug and soap. I plan on getting a better brush and razor when I get the funds. I'm using a Vincent razor with Wilkinson Sword blades for now.