What's new

Salt: Has anybody tried...

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anybody tried mixing sodium chloride (table salt) with magnesium chloride (or any other salt) in various ratios, and then in super-saturation paste with water to get a mixture like what is inside the Boveda packs that stabilizes rh at something other then 75.5%? For example, I'm wondering if a paste could be made with half table salt and half magnesium salt to get a humidity of ~54%. Then increase or decrease the table salt to magnesium salt ratio to control the rh equilibrium point. Anybody tried it?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the 50/50 mix didn't work. I did some reading on the science of how saturated salt solutions regulate relative humidity and learned why my 50/50 test didn't work. (It defaulted to magnesium chloride's 33%rh equilibrium point.) I think it may be possible still by using only a small fraction of magnesium chloride to sodium chloride. That's my next test.

I also found out that very thin silicone rubber can be used as a selectively permiable membrane to water/salt solutions, and that appears to be what Boveda is using.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A stable 67%rh has been achieved with a crudely measured 25% Magnesium Chloride / Sodium Chloride mix made to a paste with DI water. I suppose the next step is to Measure more precisely and identify the 65%rh and 70%rh mixture ratios.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A stable 67%rh has been achieved with a crudely measured 25% Magnesium Chloride / Sodium Chloride mix made to a paste with DI water. I suppose the next step is to Measure more precisely and identify the 65%rh and 70%rh mixture ratios.