What's new

salt test or boveda

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
While this is home, I do read other cigar forums. Lately I have been reading too many misinformed opinions on the Boveda products and salt testing hygrometers.

The salt test is the scientifically accepted way of calibrating a hygrometer. You take a PRECISE amount of salt, mix it with a PRECISE amount of water, put the solution in a CERTAIN size chamber, and test it for a CERTAIN amount of time. Thats how the scientists do it.

Having somebody say "mix salt and water till its a little slushy" is not my idea of being precise. Then taking that unscientific test, and declaring a hygrometer, or Heartfelt beads, or another product to be "not working" is not really being fair.

Bottom line is just test your hygrometers with the Boveda Calibration bag, or a Boveda in an airtight kitchen cannister. Humidipak had taken all the variables and screwups that can happen when using the "homegrown" salt test out of the equation

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
more to add. Matt and I use the Boveda to calibrate the Accumonitors. I called Humidipak, and talked to their science guy to figure out how long of a test to give the Accumonitor. He based the length of the test on the size of my test chamber. I use an airtight kitchen cannister thats about 9 inches tall, and 5 inches wide. I give the Accumonitors and hygrometers a 3 days test. That was his advise.

My point is that there are some really smart guys out there coming up with some good stuff for cigar smokers. We just need to listen to them.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I've been using the Boveda calibration thing for a while. Not just because I thought it was better than the salt test, but mainly because I'm too lazy to do the salt thing.

Volusianator

BoM Nov '07 & Jan '09
Rating - 93.8%
86   4   1
I agree, I tried the salt test a couple times and was never sure if I had the slurry correct. Then for whatever reason, the Boveda pack idea hit me and that's the only way I do it now. Never let one sit for 3 days, but I'm sure that would probably be a good idea as well.

Viper139

The Bead Man
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I cannot agree with Ron more.

He points out the accuracy needed to use the salt test and if anything he understated it. The proportions of salt to water are very critical for an accurate test. The type of salt can also effect the results.

The Boveda Calibration Pack is by far the best way to check the calibration of your hygrometer. And be patient, give the test 36-48 hours or more.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
I really can't think of a reason to use the Salt test anymore to be honest. Unless you are just really impatient and can't wait for either one to be delivered or to go out hunting your local B&Ms for a Boveda. They are just so simple to use and you know you are getting an accurate test.

Funny this should pop up today as I went to recalibrate my hygro's yesterday and found that all of my Boveda test packs were past their date. Time to order some more.