What's new

Sampling cigars (what Vitola to choose?)

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What vitola would you pick to sample different cigars, or do you pick out different sizes at random/by knowledge?

I had in mind to choose Petit Corona/Mareva and buy those from different manufacturers. Ofcourse I am not just sticking to that but was thinking of buying those as a 'standard' and then build on that.

Or do you think that there is just so much difference between the vitolas to really get a feel how a manufacturers smokes tastes that you need to get several vitolas to really figure out what comes out from that manufacturer?

I am now a little limited in cash but I was thinking of buying a Dom. Rep. sampler from a vendor and then buy PC's from other manufacturers.

Now, talking about manufacturers I mean ofcourse a line.
Differentiating e.g. Macanudo Reserva and Macanudo Maduro.

tobby4

June '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
What size do you like? How long do you want to smoke for?? I mean it all depends on the length that you are interested in really..

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size do you like? How long do you want to smoke for?? I mean it all depends on the length that you are interested in really..
Depends on the atmosphere really, and time.
PC's are one of my favourites, they are common and they are a 'easy' smoke, referring to time and atmosphere that is.

Otherwise, Robusto and Toro!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
try a nice Petit Corona sampler, I loved mine,
Can you elaborate a little what was in it?

Ofcourse, the price difference betveen CC's and NC's is minimal due to my location.

The bad side being NC's are expensive but so are CC's, atleast they are legally obtainable :sing: :peace:

Example: a 3 USD NC is roughly 6 USD here.

smokinafuente

This space for rent.
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Martinsburg, WV ...Home of the Martinsburg Mafia.
I believe that most are blended somewhere around the robusto size. When they go up in ring gauge they have to add leaves and when they go down in ring gauge they add less leaves. I look on the net for some one who could word it better and this is what I found.

??? said:
Manufacturers often use the same types of tobacco in different sizes, producing different tastes. Often the consumer will perceive this as the same "blend". There is a difference however - it's in the proportions of each type of leaf used. An experienced roller may use different proportions of the tobaccos in different sizes to allow for that size differences. In a smaller ring cigar, the binder and wrapper have a greater influence on the taste, for instance. The blender will allow for this difference by re-proportioning the filler blend. It's just one of those details that requires years of training among master rollers. (and of course, one of the reasons smokers will prefer the taste of one size over another of the same blend).
Not sure who to give credit to for that as I found the same wording on 4 or 5 different sites. LOL

tubaman

3 Time BoM
Rating - 100%
173   0   0
PC's are one of my favourites,
Otherwise, Robusto and Toro!
Sounds like you should try a PC sampler and a robusto sampler. I don't mean to sound like a smart aleck, but if those are the sizes you prefer, then get those. I happen to prefer churchills, but it takes me a long time to smoke those, so a good alternative happens to be a robusto.

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
When learning what you like, any type of sampler that will fit your needs are a great way to go. So if you like a mild cigar, then get a mild sampler if you can. If you smoke PC's a lot, then get a PC sampler. Make notes of your likes and dislikes along the way so you do not forget what worked and what did not.

You could try my method of sampling, buy entire boxes when on sale, but this certainly is not the best way to go.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for everybodys input!

Some may have misonderstood the question a bit, but I am to blame for that.
My thinking and writing doesn't always play nice together.

Ofcourse it would be logical to smoke the vitolas I prefer (PC, Robusto, Toro).
But do I get the taste of the brand by smoking just a PC or Robusto?
Or would I "have to smoke" a PC, Robusto, Corona Gorda and a Julieta 2 and then start form an opinion about a brand?

Do I know what a Bolivar tastes like if I smoke a couple of PC's?
I doubt it but maybe I explained my point a bit better this time :thinkidea

tubaman

3 Time BoM
Rating - 100%
173   0   0
Thank you for everybodys input!

Some may have misonderstood the question a bit, but I am to blame for that.
My thinking and writing doesn't always play nice together.

Ofcourse it would be logical to smoke the vitolas I prefer (PC, Robusto, Toro).
But do I get the taste of the brand by smoking just a PC or Robusto?
Or would I "have to smoke" a PC, Robusto, Corona Gorda and a Julieta 2 and then start form an opinion about a brand?

Do I know what a Bolivar tastes like if I smoke a couple of PC's?
I doubt it but maybe I explained my point a bit better this time :thinkidea
Tastes will vary with the different sizes within the same brand. Not all Cohibas taste the same, not all Bolivars taste the same etc. There may be certain hallmarks that are prevalent throughout the entire brand, but they all are different. For example, Cohibas tend to have a "grassy" kind of flavor. Upmanns tend to have a very straightforward kind of tobacco flavor.

Is there one size cigar that is the best for getting a brands flavor profile? I don't think so. Some people say robustos are good for this, maybe I don't really know.