What's new

Sampling tobacco.

Moro

BoM Decembre '08
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
A'right, I decided to get into this; so, I was wondering about everybody's favorites to try 'em out (gotta start somewhere, oi?), and was wondering also; I read that tobacco's flavor impregnates the pipe, so would it be wise to have a pipe for sampling tobaccos and later get one devoted to the ones I liked the most?

Rating - 94.5%
85   3   0
And a new obsession begins....good luck bro, I have thought about doing this several times and just don't have the time and I am certainly not giving up cigars for a pipe. While I was looking into it, a friend told me that you can get some Briar Wood used Dunhill Pipes on EBAY for $30-40. Apparently that is the kind of wood you want and we already know Dunhill equals quality...thats all of my pipe knowledge.

jwintosh

BoM June 07
Rating - 100%
353   0   0
good question. don't know the answer. i, too, have thought about the pipe! oh Dave? oops. wrong pipe!!:stretchgr

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
My advice would be to head on down to your local tobacco shop (look for someplace that has a good selection of pipes and pipe tobacco) and see if they have any used or imperfect pipes. If not, get a couple of corncobs - they run less than $10. This way you can look and feel the pipe first hand and ask the owner for some suggestions. This option is much better than trying for a used pipe on eBay, especially a cheap Dunhill. Ebay is good once you know what to look for, but for the newbie, it's basically like a box of chocolates ... ya never know what you're gonna get.

It's true that the tobacco will flavor the pipe over time - especially the heavier blends. For just starting out, I'd recommend 2 or 3 pipes at most, a soft flame lighter, a tamper, some pipe cleaners and a mix of tobacco blends. Most shops will have a selection of inexpensive "house blends", so get a mild Virginia, an English blend, a cigar blend (if they have one), something with Perique and perhaps a flavored aromatic (like Captain Black). Smoke the Virginias + Perique blends in one pipe and the English + aromatics in another.

Buy no more than an ounce or two of each. You can keep them in ziplock bags - but I'd also suggest putting the bags inside tupperware to keep the aromas contained. No need for added humidification (don't put them in your cigar humi), they should be fine for a couple of weeks while you see if pipe smoking is something you want to pursue.

Lastly, have the shop owner show you how to load and light the pipe. Hopefully they have some experience.

oneaday

2007 BoY
Rating - 100%
112   0   0
What Ted said. He got me started and now I have eight pipes along with 2 dozen different tobaccos. I smoke 3/4 times a week.

Moro

BoM Decembre '08
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
And a new obsession begins....good luck bro, I have thought about doing this several times and just don't have the time and I am certainly not giving up cigars for a pipe. While I was looking into it, a friend told me that you can get some Briar Wood used Dunhill Pipes on EBAY for $30-40. Apparently that is the kind of wood you want and we already know Dunhill equals quality...thats all of my pipe knowledge.
Indeed, I'm at the start of a new slope... I thought of this option since, as the months cool, I tend to smoke less cigars. Somewhere I read that this is quite a neat alternative (certainly without leaving cigars). Also, I too have little to few time (too much bloody kitchen!!!), but well, ye can always make yerself some. I hope.

Ted, thanks on the post! Incredibly insightful and I will most certainly follow these tips. I'll see what tobaccos I can get at the local B&M (I've seen too many flavoured pipe tobacco, though).

Boppa-Wasch

BoM March '07
Rating - 100%
65   0   0
I smoke both. One of my favorites is a blend called Spice-N-Nice by Boswells. Goes well with a good cup of coffee in the morning. If you have to "lay it down" (the pipe that is), you can come back to smoking it after a couple of hours with the flavor still there. Boswell has many blends and does a good job of describing them on their Web site.

Rating - 94.5%
85   3   0
I have also heard that it is a nice alternative to a cigar. A B&M biddy of mine smokes a pipe in addition to cigars and loves it. I have spoken to him about it several times and I had no idea how much is involved. Theoretically it should help you save money but i can just see myself becoming obsessed with finding rare vintage pipes and that added to my cigar expenditures would just not work.

Rating - 94.5%
85   3   0
Absolutely not, I encourage you to expand your horizons. Plus I want to be able to get updates as you navigate through the "pipe scene" Keep us posted on how things go. Are you looking at used Dunhilll Briar wood pipes on eBay yet :nono:

Moro

BoM Decembre '08
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Sure I am, as well as other estate pipes and, if all else fails, corncobs it shall be. It was joke that of making me desist. And I will certainly be keeping ye updated. So am I gonna do with an enterprise I'm about to begin (tobacco related) that I'm certain ye'll love, only I don't want to spoil the surprise 'till it works.

Fidel

Deceased Dictator
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
You`re about to experience another of life`s finer pleasures. As soon as the weather begins to cool in the Fall, I break out the pipe rack, which has been gathering dust since the end of April.
Loads of pipes on ebay - most nothing special - some absolute crap - and a few real gems.
If you decide to jump into this with both feet, PM me and I`ll give you the names of some sellers of very nice pipes.

Brad