What's new

San Jose Costa Rica

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to be is San Jose in March and want to visit a cigar factory. Any of the brothers have a suggestion? I’ll also be in Turrialba for several days and will have a free day down there.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to Nica two years back to explore the country and get up to Esteli to see some tabacaleras.

The departmente of Esteli is huge. The city does have some tabacaletas but it’s a long, long way from Costa Rica.

The closest Nica factories would be in Granada. The city might be worth a one day excursion. Beautiful place.

The one factory I would recommend is Mombacho. They use leaf from Esteli and the Jalapa Valley, up near the Honduran border. Their cigars are among the best I had in Nica. You don’t see many people smoking “Pudos” aka cigars, except in Esteli and still you will stick out.

There is another tabacalera in Granada, which is Sultan. These are fairly “meh” compared with Mombacho or Esteli factories. You will be surprised either way how small these facilities are. Mombacho lets you roll a cigar and they sell their product for a low price. When they had Mombacho Liga Maestro in CONUS at Famous they charged $80 for a box of 12. I bought them for about half that or less. Bundles are cheaper if they have them that day.

Sultans are less than a $1 per but sold in 5 packs at the city center but even less at the factory. I don’t know of any Costa Rican factories.

The furthest South they grow some tobacco in Nica is on a tiny part of Ometepe Island. Illusione gets their rosado wrappers for their Epernay puro line from there.

Enjoy Costa Rica. It’s a lot different and more Gringo than Nica is and 3x more expensive but my SIL and husband have fun there. Nica is much, much more rustic but the people are wonderful and before the recent unrest was much more safe.

Remember that gangs run CA minus Nica. Use a walking stick if in the Mayan rainforest. There are a good amount of snakes but they will avoid you for the most part if you are noisier. CA is such a beautiful place. Don’t be shy about visiting the rainforest, on a tour but stick to the trails and have a guide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk