What's new

sand on the leaf

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
On some leaf I've bought there is fine dirt/sand on it. It's not noticeable until I feel the cutting board I've been working on and it is full of grit. Have you guys noticed this and do you do anything about it? I have gone to the trouble of rinsing my leaf under running water to get the grit off it.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it happens mostly on Seco, which is harvested from the bottom of the plant. If it's excessive, step into the shower and rinse the leaf quickly both sides. Then hang them up tips down to dry. I have felt a little grit on my leaf but not enough to bother rinsing off.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
This happens quite a bit. I try to unwrinkle all my leaf, you'll be surprised how much you find in those kinked and dry leaf parts.
The worst offender I found was Brazilian Mata Fina, but the leaf itself was so good, I ordered more. It's no longer available to us as filler and I haven't tried the binder grade so can't speak to its sandiness...

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes. This is an advantage of working the leaf to get some of that. I do like to spray my hands and work the water through the leaf in piles while sorting. I rinse my hands off in between. Also the Paraguay and Honduras fillers. Jorge's Nicaraguan was really gritty.

Hopduro

PhDStogies
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
This happens quite a bit. I try to unwrinkle all my leaf, you'll be surprised how much you find in those kinked and dry leaf parts.
The worst offender I found was Brazilian Mata Fina, but the leaf itself was so good, I ordered more. It's no longer available to us as filler and I haven't tried the binder grade so can't speak to its sandiness...
Less sandy, equally as tasty :p Needs a bit more loving care to turn into filler, but the payoff is worth it!

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Just wondering if this is sand, or overspray from the farm...
20190704_000907.jpg
To me, it appears as though another frog legged leaf was on top of this one and sprayed with something that dried in this pattern...it doesn't fall off like sand.
What do you guys think?
In case someone asks, this is Rene Seco.

Dran

"That guy"
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
View attachment 137401
To me, it appears as though another frog legged leaf was on top of this one and sprayed with something that dried in this pattern...it doesn't fall off like sand.
What do you guys think?
Haha!

Sent from my LGL83BL using Tapatalk

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
View attachment 137401
What do you guys think?
I thinks that’s definitely sand. The pound of Nic Viso I got last time was full of sand and some looked just like that. Just run it under water and let it dry