What's new

saturated beads - low humidity

AMG

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, I have the 65% beads from heartfelt, but I am confused on something, my humidity is dropping rather quick ( due to the realtive dryness here in the cold I am sure ) but my beads still look quite saturated. Shouldn`t the beads be turning white as the humidity drops, it doesnt make sense that I am seeing 56% after a couple of days after adding water

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
the beads should turn white as they dry out. Depending on the seal of the humidor, it is not uncommon to have to add more beads at this time of year.

AMG

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree Ron, but I still can`t figure out why the beads aren`t changing, it implies they aren`t doing anything if they are not turning white with a dry atmosphere

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
Have you tried the obvious things like; Do you have a digital hygrometer? When was it last calibrated? Do you have a tight seal on the humi?

They also sell 60% RH beads. If you have the baggie or invoice the beads came in, make sure you received and ordered the right one's.

One more thing: was this humidor seasoned properly before adding the 65% beads?

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
the larger the surface area exposed, the better the beads perform. so performance will be affected by size of container you are using to hold your beads. This is all assuming that your hygrometer is accurate.

Viper139

The Bead Man
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
The chances of 60% beads being shipped are nill. I package them to order since I have such a small demand for them.

As has already been pointed out have you checked the battteries in your hygro and calibrated it lately. If the beads are holding their percentage of clear beads then they are not being required to give off moisture. This tells me that the rh is fine in your humidor.

AMG

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will change battery in my hygrometer, and I`ll do the salt test again just to be safe, last time I did it, it was 75% on the button

headbanger, I appreciate your suggestions, but the seal on my humidor would not apply here, if the seal were bad, then the beads would dry up too, my biggest concern is the beads staying mostly clear, but humidity drying to 56% - must be the hygro.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Remember that beads are a fairly slow reacting media. So unless it's been 56% for a while it's possible you wouldn't have noticed a change in the beads just yet. How long has this been an issue? Most likely it's the hygro, just saying.

AMG

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh I didnt realize it was a slow media, this makes sense. I would add water to my sponge and humidity would read 65 or even a bit higher a few hours later, but 3 days later it drops, I would say it loses 2% a day

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
If you are losing 2%/day, depending on how many beads, I don't know that they can keep up with that. They'll go dry at some point, but they may only be helping to slow down the loss.

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
oh I didnt realize it was a slow media, this makes sense. I would add water to my sponge and humidity would read 65 or even a bit higher a few hours later, but 3 days later it drops, I would say it loses 2% a day

What sponge are we talking about here?

Another thought, are you using only distilled water to the beads as reccomended and not tap or spring water?

If your dropping 2% RH per day after adding water to the beads, then the beads should be turning white. I would be less concerned what color the beads are as to what a calibrated digital hygrometer is reading.

kirscovitch

Mad Matt
Rating - 100%
51   0   0
by a personal experience, you might need more beads. my big humi was holding steady all spring, summer and fall. this dry winter hit and i noticed my rh dropping. it was still holding basically steady, but lower than usual. bought another 4oz of beads and shes back to normal.

Boppa-Wasch

BoM March '07
Rating - 100%
65   0   0
Make sure the battery is good for sure! I have a remote sensor that I used the battery that it came with and got a BIG variation when I did the calibration. Changed the battery and it reads right on now. Unit was only purchased last month.