Len___T

n0ob Phreak
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Found this one another site I am on...len

Tropical Storm Floods Dominican Republic

Posted: Tuesday, October 30, 2007

By David Savona

In the Dominican Republic, a man walks next to the sea during a tropical storm in Santo Domingo on Sunday. A tropical depression strengthened into Tropical Storm Noel in the Caribbean Sea south of Haiti on Sunday, the U.S. National Hurricane Center said.
Tropical Storm Noel soaked the Dominican Republic yesterday with drenching rains, killing an estimated 20 people and rendering thousands homeless as rivers overflowed throughout the country. The rains were particularly strong between Santo Domingo and Bonao, the latter an area where Dominican wrapper tobacco is grown.

The storm dropped as much as 30 inches of rain on the island of Hispaniola, according to Weather.com. The downpours swamped Chateau de la Fuente, the farm in Bonao where Tabacalera A. Fuente y Cia. grows wrapper for its Fuente Fuente OpusX cigars.

"Chateau de la Fuente is flooded -- I can't even get there," said Carlos Fuente Jr., president of Tabacalera A. Fuente. There was no tobacco in the ground, or in seedbeds, so no tobacco has been lost, but the complete damage is unable to determine at this time. "Trees are down at the entrance. There is no access to the farm. We could lose the farm. I don't know if we will be able to plant or not."

Fuente lets his Fuente Fuente OpusX cigars age for one year before releasing them, but he is loathe to ship what can't be replaced. "If I can't produce [cigars]," he said, "I can't release."

The storm had been forecast to hit Haiti, but it made an unexpected move and instead made landfall in the Dominican Republic, catching some unaware. The storm had minimal winds but soaking rains, and overflowing rivers. Fuente said the Rio Yuna, which abuts the main portion of the farm, overflowed, turning his tobacco fields into what resembles a lake.

Despite the troubles, Fuente expressed concern for those in the Dominican affected by the storm. "It would be very selfish to think about the future of Chateau de la Fuente with so many people losing their homes," he said.

General Cigar Co., also grows tobacco in the Bonao region, and Cigar Aficionado Online was awaiting comment from the company to see what, if any, impact the storm had on its properties.

As this story was posted, Noel was over central Cuba. It was expected to turn north and then east, where it could strengthen over water.

blessednxs65

Is it Nicaraguan
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
Sort of a Natural S-CHIP I suppose. Let's hope that on top of this we don't see some significant upturn in prices.

smokinafuente

This space for rent.
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Martinsburg, WV ...Home of the Martinsburg Mafia.
We just got 3 boxes of Opus, 3 boxes of VSG's and a box of ESG's in at the shop. Also, we also got it in one of these bad boys. MMMMMMmmm......

CAO Press Release said:
CAO OPENS ESCAPARATE ‘VAULT’ TO RELEASE 200 HUMIDORS WITH CAO ‘CONCEPT’ CIGARS
21,000 Rare Cigars Made Available to General Public
Nashville, October 23, 2007: CAO, one of the world’s foremost premium cigar manufacturers, announced today that it is releasing 200 CAO Humidors each containing 105 CAO Gold Maduro cigars obtained from the CAO Escaparate (taken from the Spanish word meaning “showcase”).
The CAO Escaparate is a climate-controlled, walk-in humidor-in-the-round that houses over 400,000 prototype cigars and is located at the Company’s Nashville headquarters. CAO Gold Maduro was one of 11 original ‘Concept Series’ cigar blends housed within the Escaparate and received such positive feedback from guests of CAO that the CAO Gold Maduro blend was launched into the premium cigar marketplace as a CAO brand earlier this year. Each of the 200 CAO Humidors will contain 105 of the original Gold Maduro cigars that have been aging within the CAO Escaparate since 2004. The cigars will be comprised of a combination of the following shapes: Corona, Robusto, Corona Gorda, Churchill, Torpedo, and Double Corona. The humidors and cigars will begin shipping to select retail tobacconists across the country in November.