What's new

Score: High-Power Mouse Slayer

PetersCreek

Brother Borealis
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I had to pick up a couple of things at the commissary yesterday, so I ducked in to the BX while I was there. As usual, I perused the gun counter not expecting to find anything when I spied a new rifle that I've been wanting to paw but it's been hard to find. I'll be damned if it didn't follow me home like a lost pup, so I'm now the proud owner of a Savage A17. Now I just need some range time with it.

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
I own a few different .17's. A .17 Mach 2 that is fun, a.17HMR that is a groundhog slayin SOB, and the .17WSM that is um...lets say useless.

You'll love the HMR

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Why do you say that? I admit to not knowing a great deal about the round yet but I was initially leaning toward the WSM based on the ballistics alone. However, the greater availability of HMR on store shelves swayed me in the end.
If I need a small bullet I grab my .17 HMR. It rides the 4 wheeler and tractor with me. Small enough for pest/dinner and big enough for the coyotes or other predators. Decent enough range for that. If I need a bigger bullet or faster round or more range I find myself reaching for my 220 swift more than anything.

Granted someone without the 220 or maybe even a 218 Bee to fill that gap between big rifle and small round might really have a good use for the WSM.

I did buy the first rifle that was available in the WSM the Savage B mag. It's a sub-par rifle in my opinion. I'm sure the Ruger that is available now is a much better option.