What's new

Seasonal Changes Affecting Cigar Quality

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did most of my cigar acquiring during last fall and winter. Is there anything to worry about with seasonal changes to cigar quality? Do I need to allow my cigars to rest during the swings in temperature and humidity? Maybe avoid smoking the better cigars in my collection since they might get a little sick? I'm storing in a quality wood humidor and a coolerdor. So far I've only had one swing up 2-3% in RH when we went up to 80 deg F a week or so ago. That swung my temperature up about 3-5 deg. Temp swings should cause RH to go up, also the ambient RH is going up.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I though that if the temperature goes up and the amount of Water Vapor is constant the RH drops. Equal RH, different temps, the cooler temp has a lower amount of water vapor.

We have to remember that try as we might a humidor and coolerdor are not closed systems. What are you using for humidity control?

Saying a cigar can get sick? Cigars continue to ferment until they are smoked, the longer they rest the slower the fermentation and fewer noxious tasting/smelling fermentation byproducts in the cigar. I guess it's conceivable that if a cigar is stored overly damp fermentation can kick back up but more then likely what you'll find is a musty smell and taste from mold.

Keep your cigars at your desired rh, keep the temperatures steady and smoke away. I live in a very damp climate and store my cigars at 65% but I still dry box at 62% for a couple of weeks before smoking them. I like dryer cigars and even if I leave the cigar on my desk for a day or so it's still dry enough to burn properly.

Are you having burn issues?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, that makes sense, I got it backwards with the temp / RH relationship. Maybe my jump up in RH was caused by the ambient humidity. I use 65% boveda packs in both my wooden and cooler. I smoked a cigar today that seemed more bitter than another one of the same batch I smoked before a few weeks ago. I'm probably just over analyzing things; no burn issues. The whole play between temperature and RH is interesting to me.

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
I just turned on my wineadors today for the first time in months. Saw the temps hit 68-72 today in the early evening. Usually don’t let the temp get below 67. Shooting for 65-70 range.
I think that a steady temp is very important but it can be mitigated a little by keeping your RH lower.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

redneck_toy

Fuente Fanboy
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I just turned on my wineadors today for the first time in months. Saw the temps hit 68-72 today in the early evening. Usually don’t let the temp get below 67. Shooting for 65-70 range.
I think that a steady temp is very important but it can be mitigated a little by keeping your RH lower.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree. My wino stays around 64-67* without being plugged in. Dropped from 65% boveda to 62% a few months back, and all my burn issues seem to have disappeared. NC and CC both stored this way.
I'll have to give it a few more months to be sure, because my wino is packed to the gills.
So far, so good