What's new

Seattle Pipe Club Potlatch - PToM Aug 2015 (Pipe Tobacco of the Month)

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
Post your reviews here!

POTLATCH
Brand:
Seattle Pipe Club
Blend Type: English
Contents: Black Cavendish, Burley, Latakia, Oriental/Turkish, Perique, Virginia
Flavoring: None
Cut: Ribbon
Packaging: 2oz tin, 8oz tin

From http://www.seattlepipeclub.org/:

Celebration of Cavendish, Luxury Burley, Virginias, Latakia, Perique & Orientals

POTLATCH ~ the traditional Northwest Indian Celebration of Plenty. Sumptuous feasts and ritual ceremonies lasted weeks. Gifts were shared with many old and new friends. The Seattle Pipe Club’s Potlatch is just such a gift of our pipe tobacco. Enjoy this lavish mixture of seven rare ingredients: Black Cavendish marries with luxury burley, Cyprian Latakia, bright Virginias, Turkish Orientals and Acadian Perique. Crafting the most sought after small batch blends in America since 2007​

Prior PToM reviews can be found HERE

Last edited:

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
To spice things up a bit this year, I'm going to start doing a little giveaway each month.
For each person that reviews the PToM, I'll add a half ounce sample to the pot, up to a max of 2oz. total. Then, at the end of the month, I'll draw a winner from the lot who posted reviews and send them their winnings. Just a little juice to hopefully boost participation. Reviews don't need to be in any special format or super in-depth, just let us know what you thought of the PToM, what you liked, what you didn't. Maybe what it reminded you of. Pictures are great, too. Just share your thoughts, enjoy, and have fun.
Cool draws & sweet smokes, Brothers!

REVIEWS:
@K Williams
@The Munt
@Deadman's Point
@StogieJim
@roasterdave
@CVAC085

Last edited:

The Munt

Observe everything. Listen intently.
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Halfway into the bowl, the flavor increases. Maybe the heat above stoves the lower tobacco or something. I need to buy more.
+1 K I experienced the same. This was one of my favourite blends. Had a really lovely strong flavour and a satisfying nicotine content for me. I smoked the whole tin in under a month which is much faster than usual as I always alternate Baccy, well done SPC, you have my vote !

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I'm pretty new to this game but have tried my share of baccy these past 5 months. Potlatch is my favorite blend I've tried.

It's earthy, heavy, smooooooth, and so tasty. A touch spicy and a decent nic kick.

It's like a VaPer on steroids with the cavendish and orientals. The flavor is almost chewy, I can't stop smoking this stuff. I bought a 2oz tin. Smoked one bowl and immediately ordered an 8oz tin. It's that good.

Not much of a review, I hope it helps someone though :)

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Half a bowl of Potlatch in my Savinelli Hercules (lumberjack?). The Perique punch (at least i think that's what it was) at first put me off a bit as it was more of a sensation than a flavour but it toned down and I quite enjoyed the variety of flavours. I cracked it open and put a generous pinch on some spanish cedar for a hour before packing the bowl. That seemed to give it the ideal moisture with only 2 relights. This is a different tobacco for me as I smoke mostly straight Virginias but I am gradually branching out.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Alright, here goes another "newbie" review....

Gave a run of some potlatch in my Savinelli spring series pipe. Sniff of the baccy in its respected tin I smelled nuts, leather and earth. Real nice aroma as always.

1st 1/4 of the bowl a slight tongue bite but really kicked the bucket moments later and opened up with earthy, leathery, woods notes.

2nd 1/4 or so...the notes became more pronounced and cooled off the bowl a little bit. A re-light or two but that was my fault for ignoring the pipe for a few minutes.

Home stretch of the bowl became a bit hot, but now had all the above notes and also some nuts. Maybe burley taste??? Or it could be the black cavendish that sweetened it up a bit for me. Either way it was tasty!!!

Finished it roughly 45 minutes tonight so it was a little fast. Relights maybe 5 times?? I really didn't count.

Joe Lankford nailed this blend. And so happy I picked up the tin a while back and blindly purchased not knowing if I'd enjoy it or not. I'd recommend it to anyone of my fellow pipe smokers!