What's new

seconds and wheels

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Big ups to the guys giving suggestions in my thread yesterday to "recommend some sticks", getting some good input. In my search to stock up on some better cigars I have seen a lot of what appear to be deep discounts on seconds and wheels....I'm sort of confused as to what these cigars are....are they something worth buying or just a cheap smoke that will be a waste of money? If anyone is buying these, what are some quality ones to look for?

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I can't help with your question, but I want to caution you about making a newbie mistake. Slow down and don't buy a bunch of cigars you may not enjoy smoking down the road.
Also you palette and preferences are going to develop and change over the next few years. Buy singles or doubles of a variety of cigars at a few different price points and see what you enjoy. If you like a particular cigar and want more, limit your self to a 3-5 pack, preferably 3. Otherwise down the road you are going to have a bunch you will never smoke.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
If you buy seconds be prepared for the occasional plugged cigar or ugly wrapper. I bought some Alec Bradley 90+ seconds and found 2 of the ten I've smoked plugged and un-smokable, the rest smoked fine, a bit of unwrapping on a couple but for the price I enjoyed them. No problems with the RP Vintage 1992 seconds.

Seconds may or may not be identified as a particular cigar but almost always identified by Manufacturer. The definition of a second is "with slight flaws"

I believe wheels are basically the same as "bundles". The manufacturer will save money on bands and boxes when selling bulk. They do tend to be on the lower end quality wise. Whether or not you like them is a crap shoot and depends on your tastes. More then likely you'll try them and as a new smoker probably like them but if you stay in the hobby and your palate matures you'll learn to appreciate better cigars.

Nacho Daddy

Irrepressibly Irreverent Inveterate Ignominy
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
seconds may be overproduction, cosmetic seconds,or deliberate runs to supply a market or use less than perfect tobacco.
no reason to fear them,and they can represent savings.
Wheels are large packages of the same sticks that come in packs of 20, or are sold as wheels for economy.
Stop worrying about spending a few dollars, and enjoy the hobby.
I have seen a lot of piss poor cigars in 43 years of smoking cigars, but many more that were great and worth the time and $$.

Dominican56

CRA #99997657
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I've had really good luck with seconds. Sure I toss one now and again because of construction issues. I keep them a year and am very happy with the results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Rating - 100%
101   0   0
I never buy seconds, sure you will save a few bucks but at the end of the day i am not willing to gamble 3-5 cigars a bundle that arent smokeable there is your savings. So in essence it is the same

Dominican56

CRA #99997657
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I never buy seconds, sure you will save a few bucks but at the end of the day i am not willing to gamble 3-5 cigars a bundle that arent smokeable there is your savings. So in essence it is the same
No, not really. I've never had that many bad ones at a time. I've done the math, and you aren't even close. :)

Rating - 100%
101   0   0
I just never chance it. I am sure many do. But if the manufacture doesnt want to sell them for what ever reason. I dont want to buy them either

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I know the first cigar of the day is more important to me then the 2nd. If I want to smoke several cigars I usually smoke the best first and then after my palate is numbed a bit anything else I smoke is just a cigar. Like drinking the good Scotch first. If the weather is really bad or if there is a chance I won't have time to finish it I don't mind a second or bundled cigar. As far as smoking only seconds or bundles my palate has matured enough that the money I spend for better built cigars is worth it.

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
No, not really. I've never had that many bad ones at a time. I've done the math, and you aren't even close. :)

I've done the math also and 100% of seconds for me suck. Mostly because the cigars I like don't come in seconds.

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
Quality over quantity. My two pennies.
You can get get very good sticks cheap if you have patience and don't "need" to buy the newest cigars. However, I do agree with you about the quality over quantity.