What's new

Senators Push Legislation To Lift U.S. Trade Embargo Against Cuba

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bipartisan group of U.S. Senators has proposed legislation to end the trade embargo against Cuba. The “Freedom to Export to Cuba Act” would rescind John F. Kennedy’s 1961 presidential authorization curtailing trade with the island nation and lift subsequent restrictions on the sale of U.S. goods imposed by other presidents and Congress over the last 58 years.

Sen. Amy Klobuchar (D-MN) introduced the bill on February 8; it was co-signed by Mike Enzi (R-WY), and Sen. Patrick Leahy (D-VT), who has a long track record of efforts to improve and normalize U.S.-Cuba relations.

“Our bipartisan legislation will finally turn the page on the failed policy of isolation and build on the progress we have made to open up engagement with Cuba by ending the embargo once and for all,” Klobuchar noted in a statement. “... [L]ifting the trade embargo will open the door to a huge export market, create jobs here at home and support both the American and Cuban economies.”

https://www.cigaraficionado.com/article/senators-push-legislation-to-lift-u-s-trade-embargo-against-cuba?utm_campaign=ca_alertcubabill_021219&utm_source=ca_alertcubabill_021219&utm_medium=email

Dran

"That guy"
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
I dont think we could buy cuban Montecristo or H. Upmann, they MIGHT win out on Trinidad and Cohiba, as they're both post embargo brands, as well as Vegueros (I think) worst case scenario, they have plenty of graveyard brands they could ressurect and place those brands on their existing blends.

Sent from my LGL83BL using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
We where headed in that direction during the previous administration. Things changed and relations tightened back up. Is there any reason to believe this bill will be successful now? Maybe down the road but as long as powerful people are still demanding repatriation of assets lost under the Castro regime I don't expect much

Dran

"That guy"
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
Price may go up... I'd be more concerned with availability decreasing, as every Tom, Dick, and Jerry rushes out to buy them, and availability dropping as the tiny island pushes through sub-par product in order to meet that demand. All in all, I'm happy with the current arrangement.

Rating - 100%
68   0   0
Price may go up... I'd be more concerned with availability decreasing, as every Tom, Dick, and Jerry rushes out to buy them, and availability dropping as the tiny island pushes through sub-par product in order to meet that demand. All in all, I'm happy with the current arrangement.

Agree. Enough sub par product being shipped as-is

Rating - 100%
68   0   0
You sound like @Glassman
Probably where I got my inspiration. It’s validated by the boxes I’ve gotten recently that look like that were sprayed with nalpalm. I’ve asked for those to be sealed too thinking that will give me a fair shot at drawing a primo box. I’ve just not seen much quality recently so I’m somewhat jaded

Nacho Daddy

Irrepressibly Irreverent Inveterate Ignominy
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
"A bipartisan group of U.S. Senators has proposed legislation to end the trade embargo against Cuba."
what it really means: A bunch of drunk senators lost their asses on an investment deal, and are fishing for money from anyone foolish enough to pay it to end the embargo.

"[L]ifting the trade embargo will open the door to a huge export market, create jobs here at home and support both the American and Cuban economies.”
Open the door to a huge export market full of people making $25.00 a month who do not even have basic goods,and could not afford them if they did.
Create jobs here at home ? Making what,to sell to whom,who we already know ain't got no $$.

Congressional bull speak continues and will never end..........
Let the legal battles begin,to see who gets the copyrights on cigar brand names, returning nationalized property to the children of the Cuban citizens it was taken from,on and on.
don't get me started.:arghh::arghh::arghh:

Nacho Daddy

Irrepressibly Irreverent Inveterate Ignominy
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
by the way,the US already exports $500 million or more in goods to Cuba annually.
Cuba pays in cash.