What's new

Shapes

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
Ok, so I have been thinking about actually buying a pipe or two and giving this side of the leaf a try. How, if at all, does the shape of the pipe affect the smoking?

I seem to be favoring the idea of a pipe like this:

It just seems like it would be more comfortable than say one like this:

The bent one just seems like it would be more comfortable to hold while sitting and reading or something.

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
The shape of the pipe does have some affect, but the construction and quality of the wood play more important roles. To me shape is more personal preference - like cigar size.

Curved pipes do tend to gather moisture in the lowest part of the air channel, but this can be mostly eliminated with good engineering and better smoking technique (re: don't drool while smoking).

One plus to the first pipe you've listed (an Oom Paul shape), it that it appears to have a flat bottom and can sit safely on a table top or ashtray. Pipes with rounded bottoms (like the straight pot shape in your second pic), tend to roll over on their side.

Check the Pipe Specials section of Iwan for some great prices.

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
Lol Ted...that's where these pictures came from...both can be had for $28 each.

As a noob, would it be difficult for me to limit the amount of moisture that would accumulate?

The only thing about the site is that it doesn't mention the materials. Seems like that would be important...right?

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
LOL! Well I noticed they were from Iwan, but didn't know what section.

I'm sure these are made from decent briar, but probably not the best quality. Still good enough to start.

To avoid lots of moisture buildup, avoid drinking too much while smoking ... don't hold the pipe in your mouth for extended periods ... and swallow excess saliva before putting the pipe in your mouth. If you don't add any then the only moisture will come from the burning tobacco itself ... and the only remedy there is to smoke tobacco that is slightly on the dry side.

eric_f

Semper Fi!
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I'd buy one locally, but that's me. It's cool to hold it in your hand and whatnot to see if you really like it/fits your personality. With the straight pipes it's easier to do hands-on things b/c you're not constantly fondling it to keep it in your mouth. Oh, and don't be surprised if pipe smoke is incredibly flat. I have yet to encounter a blend that is strong and flavorful enough to compare to even a decent cigar.

One of the huge pluses is that the smoke isn't nearly as offensive, some people like it, and you don't really reek afterwards.

Watch that tongue bite!

~Eric

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
eric_f said:
Oh, and don't be surprised if pipe smoke is incredibly flat. I have yet to encounter a blend that is strong and flavorful enough to compare to even a decent cigar.

... One of the huge pluses is that the smoke isn't nearly as offensive, some people like it, and you don't really reek afterwards.
~Eric
Not sure what pipe tobaccos you tried, but you obviously didn't smoke any of the stronger English or Balkan blends. These have enough flavor to rival many cigars and the aroma makes some believe that there must be a nearby forest fire.

eric_f

Semper Fi!
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I never cared for the english blends. I loved Balkan Sobraine 759, though. I was gifted some, but could not find it locally.

~Eric

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
They haven't imported Sobranie in a long time and they actually stopped making this as well. They say Balkan Sasieni is somewhat close in taste, but I didn't smoke much of the Sobranie to really compare.

There are stronger Virginia blends though ... like Rattray Hal O'The Wynd, Orlick Dark Kentucky, Esoterica Stonehaven, etc.

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
I understand what you are saying Ted. Even though they are cost effective, do you think I would be better off in the long run with higher quality pipes?

My logic is like this...If I buy two cheapy pipes that are OK for beginners I save now...but if I like it and these won't stand the test of time it will cost me more if I have to buy better ones...AND if I don't like it no one would want to buy the cheapies off of me, even at a reduced price, so I am really out even more.

How do these look to you Ted? Link

eric_f

Semper Fi!
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I started with a Dr. Grabow pipe. Cheap as hell and it smoked decently. If you want my .02, I'd suggest getting a four dollar corncob pipe and seeing if you actially like pipe smoking. I found that the quality of the pipe makes a bit of difference, but in no way did my 80 dollar pipe smoke 65 dollars better than the one I started with.

~Eric

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
Todd ... it's a tough decision at this point, becasue you don't really know if you will enjoy pipes. They are a whole different animal than cigars. They taste different, they require more effort to prepare / smoke (offset by the almost zero effort to store) and pipes do require occasional maintenance.

My advice is to pick out two inexpensive pipes that look good to your eye. You will also need a pipe tamper tool (use an unpainted wooden golf tee for now). Smoke them for a month - one pipe for Virginias and one for English / Balkan blends. Try at least 10 different pipe tobaccos.

If you then decide that smoking pipes is something you want to explore further, then we can talk more about better equipment.

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
How about this ... ?

I'll send you two pipes, tobacco samples and supplies to get you started. These are good used (estate) pipes, but they will be cleaned and sterilized. Smoke them for awhile. If you like the experience and want to continue, then you will be better prepared. If you like these specific pipes, you can buy them ... if not, just return when you've bought some of your own.

This way you can save a bit of money right now and stock up on diapers. :hysterica

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
Whoa, are you sure Ted? That'd be very cool. :scratchhe :popeyes: :santa: :blob:

I will accept your offer. :bowdown: <-----we need that emoticon!

Don't worry about the diapers I have my quarterly bonus coming, it's my smoking money.