What's new

Share your shave oil/beard oil recipe

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
In my time here with you fine folks I've seen many discussions about shave oils and beard oils, and there always seems to be a few guys that chime in saying, "Make your own and save some money." I'm on that team, always looking to save a buck, and would love to start making my own as well.
I know this could technically be two threads, but many seem to use the two oils interchangeably so I will, too.
Please share your recipes here, as well as sources for ingredients. I'll compile updated lists as this grows to make an easy reference. Also, there have been a few members stating they make their own essential oils for use in these and other products. If this is you and you're open to share/sell/trade, please let us know.
I'd love to see some homemade sundries swapping here, or trading for cigars!

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Not yet. Was going to have him go all barber on me, hair & beard, for mama's pregnant photo shoot, but we couldn't work out a time. Thought he was in the cities now...?
When he sold the salon he moved to Loft salon downtown. Still selling 2Bits out of there as well i believe, and on the website.

Speaking of full barber, we should probably have a man date and go to Heimies sometime. Hot towel shave, old school barber shop and hella nice clothes. I've been meaning to get there for a bit, this would be a good excuse....

Rating - 100%
55   0   0
no, i have not yet, how about yourself? i have just been browsing some supplies finally. good thing i saw this pop up and checked, i didn't really know for sure on the food grade essential oils...

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Excellent Thread! I ran accross a story on making your own beard oil (link) and I have tried it once. They had listed a few recipes I was interested in and the one I tried was Coconut Oil and Peppermint Essential Oil since we already had those in the house and I love mint. I liked using it, my skin wasnt as dry as it could get here in Southwest Arizona. I think I may make some more now that I am getting low.

Also, Clint and Dave, unless you're from MN, i think most people are wondering where 'cloud' and 'cities' are? :D

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Excellent Thread! I ran accross a story on making your own beard oil (link) and I have tried it once. They had listed a few recipes I was interested in and the one I tried was Coconut Oil and Peppermint Essential Oil since we already had those in the house and I love mint. I liked using it, my skin wasnt as dry as it could get here in Southwest Arizona. I think I may make some more now that I am getting low.

Also, Clint and Dave, unless you're from MN, i think most people are wondering where 'cloud' and 'cities' are? :D
you knew what we were talking about!!!

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Yep, it was my first 24 yrs growing up in Osakis, MN. But since inwas farther away from cloud and cities it was The cities and St Cloud ( but that included any town with in 30 miles of cloud.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Yep, it was my first 24 yrs growing up in Osakis, MN. But since inwas farther away from cloud and cities it was The cities and St Cloud ( but that included any town with in 30 miles of cloud.
hey, i was there a couple weeks ago checking this bad boy out.....

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Here's mine and, yes, it works equally well as a pre-shave oil and a beard oil:

2 parts castor oil
1 part jojoba oil
1 part olive oil (extra virgin - the stuff made from the really ugly olives)
equal amounts of cedarwood and jasmine essential oils.

Initially, I only used the castor and olive oils but I found it too thick, so I started cutting it with the jojoba oil. Now it's a nice consistency.

Usually, when I make it, I make about 2 ounces and store it in a dark glass bottle to protect it from light. For that amount, 1 "part" is a tablespoon. So four tablespoons of oil in total and about eight or nine drops of each essential oil.

But, do some research on the different essential oils because different skin types will benefit from different ones. And don't go cheap on the essential oils. Pay more for quality stuff and you'll find you use less and, in the long run, is cheaper.