What's new

Shelf Overflow

Rating - 100%
97   0   0
So I've really built up quite a collection of bourbon these days. Problem is the shelf I currently use in the pantry won't fit them all. I thought about putting a couple shelves up in the garage. It is heated, but I keep the thermostat down to like 40 in the winter, unless I'm out there. It can get a little warm in the summer out there, probably 80s on really hot days. Anyone else keep their bottles out in the garage. I know beer is different, so I'm strictly speaking about whiskey (bourbon and Scotch).

mjones9630

Who?
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
Big temp swings can effect the tastes. Just like how putting a whiskey in the freezer effectively "Waters it down".. something I never really understood, but it was important enough to be put in my textbook. (Crescent school of gaming and bartending)

Rating - 100%
97   0   0
Big temp swings can effect the tastes. Just like how putting a whiskey in the freezer effectively "Waters it down".. something I never really understood, but it was important enough to be put in my textbook. (Crescent school of gaming and bartending)
Yea, I don't think the temperature will fluctuate a lot within a short period of time, if that's what you're getting at. I'm just curious if a cabinet would be a better idea as it would hold a more stable temp in the warmer months, opposed to be out on a shelf.

mjones9630

Who?
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
It's not so much a matter of how fast it fluctuates. More of an overall temp. A cabinet may help, and honestly it might be a small enough difference that its acceptable. I would suggest letting a couple bottles hang around outside where you're planning this, see if there's any noticable change. I'm sure it'll be the summer that does it in though..

Rating - 100%
97   0   0
It's not so much a matter of how fast it fluctuates. More of an overall temp. A cabinet may help, and honestly it might be a small enough difference that its acceptable. I would suggest letting a couple bottles hang around outside where you're planning this, see if there's any noticeable change. I'm sure it'll be the summer that does it in though..
Yea, summer is what worries me. I really don't have much of a choice though. Storage space is a premium in our pantry and my "new love" is taking up too much room. :p
I'm gonna hit Craig's List and see if I can find something. I could possibly pick up a used fridge and just leave it powered off I guess.

mjones9630

Who?
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
Yea, summer is what worries me. I really don't have much of a choice though. Storage space is a premium in our pantry and my "new love" is taking up too much room. :p
I'm gonna hit Craig's List and see if I can find something. I could possibly pick up a used fridge and just leave it powered off I guess.
I was just thinking an old fridge turned up as high as it'll go would prob be one of the best long term solutions.. I know I'll need one myself for down here, as it gets/stays too hot most of the time.

bostoneo

The Chosen One
Rating - 100%
400   0   0
So I've really built up quite a collection of bourbon these days. Problem is the shelf I currently use in the pantry won't fit them all. I thought about putting a couple shelves up in the garage. It is heated, but I keep the thermostat down to like 40 in the winter, unless I'm out there. It can get a little warm in the summer out there, probably 80s on really hot days. Anyone else keep their bottles out in the garage. I know beer is different, so I'm strictly speaking about whiskey (bourbon and Scotch).
Pics or it’s not true dude

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JFiz

What the shit man
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I can help you.:happy: You're looking at this the wrong way. If you invite a few people down the "collection" can be returned to a manageable state. Hell, some might even bring some sticks to share for the occasion. (y)

I haven't ran into your current situation as My liquor collection (read as my wife doesn't allow me to buy much) doesn't last very long so I don't really understand. LOL

John