What's new

Shipped boxes affecting humidor

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all second post, I've been into and smoked cigars for sometime. For the most part I've always supported my local B&M's keeping my desktop humidor quarter to half full via the B&M's.

Recently I made the leap to fill my 300 stick box (realistically it would hold 150 churchill's) and ordered a few boxes from a well-known and very reputable online shop. They spent about 4 days in shipping and got caught in the snow storm up in Jersey.
Upon receipt and prior to moving them to my humidor I noticed one had white mold and removed it from the group and continued to transfer everything to my humidor.

My humi has always been rock solid with RH and temp, never had an issue. I believe the sticks I received were very wet and have over humidified my box so much that I've removed my humidification devices and it's still holding at 70. It's been two solid days with no beads now and is holding at 68 RH.

I guess my question is, is it normal for full boxes to arrive so "wet"? So much so that it's affecting my other sticks to have a tight draw?

I smoked the" white mold" stick the day it showed up and it practically exploded and today I had a tatuaje K222 that I picked up from my B&M' and has been in my box for a few weeks now and it had a extremely tight draw (my B&M's has a few and all have smoked amazingly). I just feel like all these issues are now associated with adding the substantial amount of online sticks that I've added to my humi.

Ideas and opinions are very welcome!

White mold pic is attached..

Thanks!

Attachments

Rating - 100%
101   0   0
surely it wouldn't negatively affect the others in such a short amount of time. but i do think that most places send their sticks out wet at least a little

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
If you added 50-75 wet sticks to a 150ct humidor, yeah it would be normal for that to have a significant effect. You need something in there that can absorb/remove the extra humidity and bring things back down.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the quick reply brothers! I use heartfelt 65 RH beads and have to admit that living in Phoenix and now Vegas I've never really needed "two way humidification". I've always just recharged till full because it's so damn dry here and I've never had a need to absorb humidity.

Oh well lesson learned I guess.

Angry Bill

2x BoM, BoY '08
Staff member
Rating - 100%
201   0   0
The more concerning issue is the one cigar with the mold. At least it is to me. That signals an over humidificAtion issue. I would definitely recheck every other cigar you just put in your humidor to ensure a mold problem does not occur. A little mold on the wrapper can be wiped off, but if it's in the foot, toss it.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with you and will be keeping a close eye on the main stash but to find a stick in a unopened box that I received that day means they came to me over humidified at one point.

I like the HF beads and they have never done me wrong, they've always held my humidor solid even in the harsh Vegas environment.

I guess the question was more of a curiosity of do retailers purposely over saturate sticks knowing they will be in a cardboard box, in the back of a truck making a two to three thousand mile trip across the US.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Hopduro

PhDStogies
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
I guess the question was more of a curiosity of do retailers purposely over saturate sticks knowing they will be in a cardboard box, in the back of a truck making a two to three thousand mile trip across the US.

Thanks everyone for the replies.
Yes they do, because under humidified cigars can crack with the brutal shipping process.

Sent from the past on VeLoRoK's flip phone