What's new

Shop Humidifiers - A question for Tobacconists

Hoshneer

Blumpkin King
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
I currently have a forced air humidifier in our shop that is ran on a reverse osmosis filtration. I hate it and am looking at a humidifier that uses sonic vibrations to disperse the water. My current issue is the humidifier has to be cleaned often and because the chemicals have been stripped you get more problems with things trying to grow in the tank. I was looking for some suggestions on products or in general, knowledge on this subject. If you have any input please chime in, i'd appreciate it. Some people told me to get a filtration unit that leaves chlorine in because it helps keep bacteria at bay and others are completely against it. I haven't had any issues but as our stores grow I would like to figure out the easiest way to accomplish this as my time gets stretched thinner everyday and I need to rely on the help of others that may be less knowledgeable at my job. Some of the sonic humidifiers claim 100% mist from the nozzle and tankless humidification which sounds great in theory.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Only thing I can promise you is that if you leave the chlorine in you can taste it in your cigars.

If the water is as clean as it should be with the reverse osmosis what is the stuff growing on? Algae and mold need minerals to thrive. Makes me think you have a problem with the reverse osmosis system. Call the filtration people and ask them.

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
You're overthinking it, Rex

Here's what you do...

Buy a new box of Kleenex, open it as you normally would, and dump 1/4 cup of kerosene into the opening.

Place in the center of your walk-in, and light on fire.

The heat will draw in moisture form the outside, perfectly* humidifying your cigars.

Repeat once a week, or as needed.

*Individual results may vary. The word "perfectly" is a relative term and subject to interpretation. The author and BOTL.org not responsible for the accuracy of this information and/or subsequent damage/loss occurring from the above directions. Check local laws and fire codes. Void where prohibited.

Hoshneer

Blumpkin King
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
You're overthinking it, Rex

Here's what you do...

Buy a new box of Kleenex, open it as you normally would, and dump 1/4 cup of kerosene into the opening.

Place in the center of your walk-in, and light on fire.

The heat will draw in moisture form the outside, perfectly* humidifying your cigars.

Repeat once a week, or as needed.

*Individual results may vary. The word "perfectly" is a relative term and subject to interpretation. The author and BOTL.org not responsible for the accuracy of this information and/or subsequent damage/loss occurring from the above directions. Check local laws and fire codes. Void where prohibited.
I am sure you're right, I just like to do things the best way.

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
Only thing I can promise you is that if you leave the chlorine in you can taste it in your cigars.
Sorry but I have to respectfully disagree.

According to the EPA and CDC, municipal water supplies may contain up to 4 PPM (parts per million) of chorine and still be considered safe for human consumption. That is a microscopically miniscule amount of chlorine and anyone that would be able to taste it in a cigar would have to have the most discerning palate ever. Remember, we are talking about tap water here (which millions of people drink safely every day) not water taken from a swimming pool.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
@Rupe

It's not the amount of chlorine available at a particular moment it's the amount of chlorine over time the cigars are exposed to. Can you taste the difference between tap water with chlorine and the same water left out for a couple of days allowing the chlorine to out gas?, I sure can and I'm old so I admittedly have a garbage palate.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I'm not familiar with it so no.
So tds is big with reef keeping which is how I know about it. You can pick up a hand held meter for $10-$15. It stands for totally dissolved solids which is all the dirt,rust and nasty stuff in city water even after the filtering process. It will grow alage like crazy. Now I am not sure how to get you 0tds. I use a 7 stage 200 gallon per day unit. Some drinking filters use a carbon block which may be enough for you. If you still have tds you would want di resin added. With 0 tds you should have crystal clear algae free water.