What's new

Show Your Newly Acquired Estate Pipes

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I searched and couldn’t find a thread showing recently acquired estate pipes. So, I thought I would start one where we could post pics showing our new to us estate pipes and maybe before and after restoration pics. If there is already a thread that covers this I apologize and the mods can feel free to delete this one.

I’ll start.....My aunt gave me these the other day. They belonged to my uncle who passed away a couple years ago. I can remember when I was a kid he used to sit in his rocking chair and smoke his pipes. I always loved the smell of the burning tobacco. He also had a round wooden pipe stand with a wooded jar in the center for pipe tobacco. She is going to try and find the stand for me also. Some are in pretty rough shape. I can’t decide if I want to try and restore any of them or keep them in the condition I received them in. I thought the dog pipe rest was pretty cool to, she bought it for him as a gift way back when. Thanks for looking.

73ED5F93-D67F-4C32-86C1-DB03472ECB83.jpeg
228574E7-3604-4D44-B213-5C89BB705170.jpeg

Jody

Rating - 100%
61   0   0
Very nice, it looks like maybe 2 Dunhills and a Peterson in there. I would send the high end pipes to an experienced pipe guy for a professional cleaning, the others I'd give them a good cleaning, polish them up and smoke em. Smoke them all. Nice pipes, great to know the history too.

Rating - 100%
74   0   0
Dang, @Jody. You've got quite the growing collection.
That brass Basset hound will make for a solid/stable pipe rest. Which I much prefer.

Tip: No matter how much the seller preaches verbiage like 'cleaned' and 'sterilized' do yourself a favor and soak those Lucite stems long time (Full Metal Jacket).
*Some have issues with alcohol turning vulcanite stems green. I have not experienced this issue; just an addendum.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Very nice, it looks like maybe 2 Dunhills and a Peterson in there. I would send the high end pipes to an experienced pipe guy for a professional cleaning, the others I'd give them a good cleaning, polish them up and smoke em. Smoke them all. Nice pipes, great to know the history too.
Dang, @Jody. You've got quite the growing collection.
That brass Basset hound will make for a solid/stable pipe rest. Which I much prefer.

Tip: No matter how much the seller preaches verbs like 'cleaned' and 'sterilized' do yourself a favor and soak those Lucite stems long time (Full Metal Jacket).
*Some have issues with alcohol turning vulcanite stems green. I have not experienced this issue; just an addendum.
Thanks for the tips guys. I haven’t had a chance to go through all of them yet. It was hard to make out the markings on the couple I have looked at though. I ordered some cleaning supplies so I can clean them up some to get a better look. I agree with you @JZBdano , if I find any that are on the expensive side I will have someone who knows what they are doing restore them. These pipes have a lot of sentimental value to me and take me back to my childhood so I don’t want to do anything that could screw them up. Thanks for looking and y’all have a good one.

Jody

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I don’t have them in my possession yet but my grandfather left me all of his pipes. I am eagerly waiting for them so I can get a display case built for them. As soon as I get them I will find this post again and put up a picture

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
So I’ve been working on Uncle Thomas’ pipes the last couple days. I haven’t done anything with the cobs as of yet and am thinking of just cleaning them up some and maybe display them or something. I have enough cobs of my own and some of these appear to be in a fragile state and I don’t want to do anything that may screw them up. As for the briars, I have reamed the bowls, cleaned them with salt and alcohol, and scraped the carbon out of the really caked bowls with a small pocketknife being careful not to get into the wood. I soaked the stems in warm water and oxy clean twice cause they were so gummed up and dirty. Some of the stems are in pretty bad shape with tooth chatter and a couple even have holes worn through from clenching I’m guessing. I did get the insides of the stems cleaned up good on all of them and now I know what @jsnake means about making your fingers sore!

The two pipes in the pic below were in pretty decent shape other than being filthy. They had some slight tooth chatter on the stems but I got that sanded out and polished the stems and put a couple coats of obsidian oil on them. The bent bulldog could use a light sanding to address some slight imperfections in the wood. It wouldn’t take much to get them out. The shank and stem could also stand to be blended a little better and the rim could use a little cleaning up too. I may do all this later but right now I’m excited to smoke one of them. So after I give them another day to dry out completely I plan on firing them up. The others I’ll work on as time permits. Thanks for looking.
59CB54BF-60B1-46CC-B307-33313BB2B3BA.jpeg

Oh, if anyone can tell me what I need to use to repair the stems with holes I would appreciate it.

Edit: I forgot to add the brands. The bent bulldog has “Aldgate” on one side and “made in England” on the other with the numbers “282F”. I have no idea what brand this pipe is and I can’t find anything on it. The straight pipe has “Special Quality by Hardcastle” and “Made in London England” printed on the bottom.

Jody

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
Hey Jody, have you looked at reborn pipes blog? He's great at illustrating processes for stuff, including stem holes.

Sent from the Barbarino Batphone

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Hey Jody, have you looked at reborn pipes blog? He's great at illustrating processes for stuff, including stem holes.

Sent from the Barbarino Batphone
Yeah, I ordered some pipe racks from him last week, still waiting on USPS to deliver them. They were supposed to have been here yesterday.:banghead: I’ve read a couple of the blogs but haven’t come across a hole in the stem yet, but I’ll dig in and keep reading. Thank you for he heads up, I appreciate it. (y)

Jody

Rating - 100%
56   0   0
Yeah, I ordered some pipe racks from him last week, still waiting on USPS to deliver them. They were supposed to have been here yesterday.:banghead: I’ve read a couple of the blogs but haven’t come across a hole in the stem yet, but I’ll dig in and keep reading. Thank you for he heads up, I appreciate it. (y)

Jody
You're an animal dude, your USPS guy must love ya!

https://rebornpipes.com/tag/repairing-a-hole-in-the-stem/ scroll about halfway down.
https://rebornpipes.com/2015/01/22/repairing-a-bite-through-on-a-vulcanite-stem-with-black-super-glue/

Basically, black superglue with an accelerant so you can do multiple layers, with a vaseline covered pipe cleaner inserted in the stem. Note these are vulcanite, not sure what you would do with lucite or acrylic.

I've never done it to fill a hole, but I used super glue to fill in deep teeth marks on the stem on my Grabow estate. One side came out pretty good, the other doesn't look that great, but it works. Sand afterwards to level, polish.

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
You're an animal dude, your USPS guy must love ya!

https://rebornpipes.com/tag/repairing-a-hole-in-the-stem/ scroll about halfway down.
https://rebornpipes.com/2015/01/22/repairing-a-bite-through-on-a-vulcanite-stem-with-black-super-glue/

Basically, black superglue with an accelerant so you can do multiple layers, with a vaseline covered pipe cleaner inserted in the stem. Note these are vulcanite, not sure what you would do with lucite or acrylic.

I've never done it to fill a hole, but I used super glue to fill in deep teeth marks on the stem on my Grabow estate. One side came out pretty good, the other doesn't look that great, but it works. Sand afterwards to level, polish.
I don’t know about being an animal, but my wife thinks I’m an ass....does that count?:hilarious: My mail carrier is pretty nice, but now that you mention it I still haven’t received my pipe racks and the weather has been shitty the past two days. According to tracking it has been “In Transit to Next Facility” for the past five days.....Hmmm.(n)

Thanks for finding those write ups for me. I just scanned through the pics and the second write up has pics of the hole in the stem and that looks exactly what the holes on my pipe stems look like. I really appreciate you going through the trouble of finding them for me.(y) I want them to look as good as possible, but if they’re not perfect that’s alright too. I have no intentions of selling any of them, I just want to be able to smoke them and reminisce of my childhood, my uncle, and my family in general. I come from a large family, my grandparents had 10 kids and all my aunts and uncles had a minimum of 2 kids each, several of them had more than two. We used to all get together several times a year but since we’ve all gotten older we haven’t done that in years.:sorry:

Sorry for such a long post, see what I mean about reminiscing? Thanks again.

Jody

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Those look great
Thank you, I’m pretty happy with the way they turned out. The next batch are going to be a little tougher due to the holes worn through the stems just in front of the button. I’ll start on them as soon as I can get the black super glue ordered.

Jody