What's new

Shrink Wrap

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Guys...N2 and I have been going round and round on the food saver/shrink wrap idea for boxes that we intend to keep for a long. Any body got any ideas....Shrink wrap you have to put some heat to and the foodsaver bags cost some money. I saw the foodsaver at Sams for $140 but no bags. Anybody got any ideas???

J

jckposter

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
WFZone said:
Guys...N2 and I have been going round and round on the food saver/shrink wrap idea for boxes that we intend to keep for a long. Any body got any ideas....Shrink wrap you have to put some heat to and the foodsaver bags cost some money. I saw the foodsaver at Sams for $140 but no bags. Anybody got any ideas???

Yea I have a gret idea you and mark put me in yalls will so if yall die before there opened Ill take good care of them... :smt046

1f1fan

Toast!
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
It may not look as nice, but why not use large freezer bags? I think they would work well on boxes (and cabs probably don't need them). I assume you are doing this to keep less fresh air from getting into the boxes for better long term aging.

Just my .02

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Save your money and spend it on cigars. Put your boxes in a climate controlled environment and just relax. If they come shrink-wrapped from your vendor then just keep the shrink wrap on and put them down. Otherwise, if you are trying to slow the aging you could consider just using a ziplock bag and simply squeeze out as much air as possible. But frankly I don't think that would even be necessary. Just look back to the way the pros have done it for the past 100 years, they had no shrink wrap, no vacum sealing, they just aged their cigars in the box.

The theory of airless aging is far from proven, and arguable at best. AFAIK it may even prevent or delay the natural fermentation process which is believed to be the process that actually enhances flavors, so the result may actually be bad for the cigars.

Besides all this, if you are intending to do this to enhance their value for resale, then you better make sure to document the pedigree and storage conditions (climate monitor). But I believe there are better ways to make money - just put $1000 in a Mutual Fund or decent stock and it will outperform the appreciation of the aged cigars in most cases (notable exceptions may be Dunhill, Davidoff).

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
solomr2 said:
Save your money and spend it on cigars. Put your boxes in a climate controlled environment and just relax. If they come shrink-wrapped from your vendor then just keep the shrink wrap on and put them down. Otherwise, if you are trying to slow the aging you could consider just using a ziplock bag and simply squeeze out as much air as possible. But frankly I don't think that would even be necessary. Just look back to the way the pros have done it for the past 100 years, they had no shrink wrap, no vacum sealing, they just aged their cigars in the box.

The theory of airless aging is far from proven, and arguable at best. AFAIK it may even prevent or delay the natural fermentation process which is believed to be the process that actually enhances flavors, so the result may actually be bad for the cigars.

Besides all this, if you are intending to do this to enhance their value for resale, then you better make sure to document the pedigree and storage conditions (climate monitor). But I believe there are better ways to make money - just put $1000 in a Mutual Fund or decent stock and it will outperform the appreciation of the aged cigars in most cases (notable exceptions may be Dunhill, Davidoff).
Thanks for the advice but I disagree on performance when you see a SLB of Bolivar's from the early 90's being sold for $1500-2000 at Christies and other places. I think that the Partagas Pirimides EL from 00 will be the same way as well as many others..

Let's see a SLB of Bolivars cost $150 in 90....14 yrs later $1500

64% return per year or 900% over the 14 year span.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Consider my last statement about documenting pedigree if you have any hopes of getting a decent return. Many such sales at Christies, which are pretty rare, require a fully documented manuscript of storage conditions. There are cigar clubs that are specifically equipped for this.

J

jckposter

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
solomr2 said:
Consider my last statement about documenting pedigree if you have any hopes of getting a decent return. Many such sales at Christies, which are pretty rare, require a fully documented manuscript of storage conditions. There are cigar clubs that are specifically equipped for this.

Hey Phil they will smoke them all I know those 2 monkeys....they have no chance of ageing shit... :smt046 :smt046 :smt046

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
If you are seriously thinking you are going to be stocking up on an item to be sold at Christies at a later date.... I'd contact them and ask them what to do and what all they want to see when you get around to presenting it.

Kurtdesign1

The Thinker
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
I know nothing about this, but will reputable Auction Houses sell Habanos owned (illegally) by US citizens?

Rating - 100%
15   0   1
I have been asked about this by a member here. Mcgoo is correct fcor long term aging. What I do with my boxes for long term again is place them in food saver bags and remove about 90% of the air. I then place the box in the back of the humidor and forget about it. I have found that this also prevents the opening and looking as well as checking that constantly reintroduces the cigars to air.

This is what works for me. I have also tested this method with hte humididty levels and they stay at 62-64% for me.

Seg..

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
N2Advnture said:
$79
http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/sr=1-2/qid=/ref=sr_1_2/601-4510862-7164918?%5Fencoding=UTF8&asin=B00025B5XY

Scroll to towards the bottom and add the vacuum lock attachment for $10

Damn, I may have to get one!
Thats a good price I think I saw them at sears for around 89 I'll have to check target out its close to my work. I have my new Avallo cooled triple D being built and I'll have plenty of room to test this sealing deal out I heard it works great over long term.

Bruce5

--
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
segundo22 said:
I have been asked about this by a member here. Mcgoo is correct fcor long term aging. What I do with my boxes for long term again is place them in food saver bags and remove about 90% of the air. I then place the box in the back of the humidor and forget about it. I have found that this also prevents the opening and looking as well as checking that constantly reintroduces the cigars to air.

This is what works for me. I have also tested this method with hte humididty levels and they stay at 62-64% for me.

Seg..
I agree...

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Kurtdesign1 said:
I know nothing about this, but will reputable Auction Houses sell Habanos owned (illegally) by US citizens?
I won't pull up the link but, the last auction several lots were advertised as belonging to a famous Hollywood Actor...my guess this actor was american

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I was thinkin about doing the same thing. But on cw they were also discussing that the standard bags that you can buy, oxygen passes pretty freely through them. you should buy the thicker commercial bags if you can get them.

I didn't really believe this, so I decided to experiment. I once put a wireless hygrometer sensor inside a dress box, inside a standard ziplock bag you get at the target. You would be suprised how much and how fast the humidity changes in line with the surrounding environment. Not exactly in line, but it lags it by about 30 minutes. The cabs have pretty good seals, but probably the dress boxes you want to be worried about.