What's new

Sigh... Deep breath... It begins

The Munt

Observe everything. Listen intently.
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
All these posts have me salivating so I started down the road to better coffee tonight...

On the way is:

An Aeropress

Porlex tall manual burr grinder

And a couple of coffee samples, got some more research to do in that department, but thanks for all the info in the other posts. And hopefully this is the start of another great vice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
The Aeropress is awesome. I never planned on getting one but did anyway because I found it on sale, and have not regretted it at all. I have no experience with hand grinders...yet. I love African coffee so I hope you enjoy the Rwandan. Next your need a pour over set up, then espresso (plus grinder to go with it), then another pour over, a better espresso (with better grinder) :) enjoy

The Munt

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
The Aeropress is awesome. I never planned on getting one but did anyway because I found it on sale, and have not regretted it at all. I have no experience with hand grinders...yet. I love African coffee so I hope you enjoy the Rwandan. Next your need a pour over set up, then espresso (plus grinder to go with it), then another pour over, a better espresso (with better grinder) :) enjoy
Right on! I'm actually planning on picking up a Technivorm Moccamaster next, but I want to start practicing with this and learn a bit more about it first.

dscl

BoM October '14
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
Nice a setup you picked up, enjoy!

Right on! I'm actually planning on picking up a Technivorm Moccamaster next, but I want to start practicing with this and learn a bit more about it first.
I love the Technivorm, it's 1 of only 9 home brewers that are SCAA Certified at this time.

Does this mean some people don't have a kettle?
Most americans I know don't have a kettle. Especially not the thin gooseneck that is preferred by most for coffee.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I love the Technivorm, it's 1 of only 9 home brewers that are SCAA Certified at this time.

Most americans I know don't have a kettle. Especially not the thin gooseneck that is preferred by most for coffee.
Love my coffee. We Nespresso during the week and french press on the weekends. Could you explain the benefits of a gooseneck kettle though? We've been using the basic squat kind with the whistle top.

The Munt

Rating - 100%
40   0   0

Right on! Well there you go... make tea in a teapot i suppose? I think between tea, coffee and instant noodles everyone in Oz needs one haha. As common as a toaster here.
Very nice . Roasting next?
Quite possibly Joe!

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Love my coffee. We Nespresso during the week and french press on the weekends. Could you explain the benefits of a gooseneck kettle though? We've been using the basic squat kind with the whistle top.
Is not really necessary for French press, but for pour over it is helpful in controlling the flow of water. I didn't think all that big of a deal until I got one, it is much easier to get the water to go where you want it

dscl

BoM October '14
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
It really comes down to being able to precisely control where the water goes and the flow rate.

For something like French press it's not a huge deal, but benefits really come in with Aeropress(depending on brew method) and pour overs.

When blooming your trying to do it with minimal water and full coverage so the gooseneck shines here. When it comes to the rest of the brewing process you want minimal agitation of the grind bed with pour over.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
When blooming your trying to do it with minimal water and full coverage so the gooseneck shines here. When it comes to the rest of the brewing process you want minimal agitation of the grind bed with pour over.

Clearly I have a lot left to learn WRT coffee brewing. lol

The Munt

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Boom... coffee time!

Got this all today, typical male I threw the instructions aside and dove straight in, tried to push 100% warm milk through it and it was like trying to compact water in a sealed space haha...

Admitting defeat I grabbed the instructions and did it right with water.
The company that sold me the Aeropress and grinder sent some free samples and one bag was already ground so I dived into some Papua Sigri...

Well I been drinking instant so the heavens opened and it was like an angel peed in my mouth...

Thanks for all the advice.

What does everyone do to get quick and easy 80c (176f) water ?

Boil kettle and wait? Or shut it off prior to boil? Microwave mastered? Boil then add a bit of cold? Appreciate it!

Last edited:
Rating - 94.7%
20   1   0
I haven't gotten one yet but from why I've seen the easiest is electric kettle that'll heat it to the temp you want

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I used to not let it get to a boil, just bring it up to the proper temp and then stop it. Here in the mountains of Arizona, I found a good point (≈200°F) was when the bubbles started to form on the bottom of the kettle but not come to the surface (I now use a temp controlled kettle and it is great). If you thought going from instant to pre-ground was good, wait until you go from pre-ground to fresh it's another night and day comparison. Hope you enjoy it and never have to go back to instant