What's new

Sim Racers?

bdc30

BoM May '11
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
Actually just started getting into this myself. Bought a rig 2nd hand and have been doing the iracing mazdas and street stock ovals. What are you into?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noice. I do iracing as well. Race in the Majors series which is about all i have time for. Before joining that league i spent a lot of time in the imsa series. How you like it so far? Any idea which direction you wanna go as you get more licenses?

bdc30

BoM May '11
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
Really have no idea at this point, I'm just enjoying driving the mazda and learning how to race. I don't have a lot of high aspirations, just trying not to ruin other people's race is enough for now lol. Might take some lessons or get coaching if I find the time

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best advice id say is run your own race. Dont fight people who are are a lot faster and usually super aggressive folks tend to end up crashing themselves. But most important is to have fun with it

bdc30

BoM May '11
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
Yeah I've been finding that a lot in the early going. I just pull aside even if a guy is matching me. Finished 6th/12 today in the rookie mazdas even with a pitstop to fix damage just by staying on the lead lap while others crashed out and/or got dq'd. I haven't decided yet whether I prefer racing in VR or with triple screens.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noice. Yeah. Rookie class is really all about learning race craft. As you progress, the speed picks up but the technique stays similar.

bdc30

BoM May '11
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
I bought a pretty decent setup for second-hand. fanatec dd wheel w/boost kit, fanatec load cell pedals, quad 1440 (something) monitors i think 24 or 27", some sort of unreal pc that runs it all (32gb ram i think?). In all honesty, I'm pretty clueless with all of the hardware part. I got super lucky in that the guy I bought it from was a PhD student so obviously knew exactly what he was doing and was super helpful in moving the rig and getting me all set up. Was pretty literally plug-and-play on my end.
For VR, I have the Oculus Quest (now Meta) which I run through link cable to the PC. It's unreal, and I'd totally run it all the time, however the racelab displays don't work in the Quest -- and -- every time I switch from the triples to vr and back, it messes with the FOV as well as the placement of all the info boxes. It's really annoying.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a nice setup. Ive been eyeballing the csl dd rim. Running w the csl elite on a TrakRacer rig. Your stuff is nicer for sure

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regarding the fov in vr id be totally clueless about that but have no doubt going back and forth would mess with you.

bdc30

BoM May '11
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
This was the car wheel it came with. There's an f1 style wheel as well but I haven't used it as yet as I want it to match the car types so will wait until I race the vee.

The FOV adjustment in VR is super easy, you adjust your seat for the wheels/pedals, hit a button and it puts you in the perfect spot. It's when you swap back to the triples that you have to readjust everything.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a super nice wheel man. Little jealous ngl.

I’d imagine VR theres no going back if i tried it

bdc30

BoM May '11
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
Yeah this guy did not cheap out on any of his gear. I was shocked to see it all in a package deal for sure.

VR is superior in my opinion - however - it's almost too immersive. A meteor could hit my house and I'd have no clue. If I lived on my own, I'd never use the triples, but with wife and kids and cats and and and I actually like being able to see and hear other things going on in the room.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah i agree with you there. As immersive as it gets i like being able to see my surroundings at the glance