What's new

Sir Winston's

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Are they really that good? :smt102

I've read lots... but that usually dosnt mean much to me, you guys however carry a little more wieght in my eyes, and I know that none of you ya hoo's like keepying your opinions to yourself anways ;-)

so...

WHAT SAY YOU :smt102

Kurtdesign1

The Thinker
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
I'm not the largest fan of the Upmann profile so I've shyed away from the Winnies. If there much different from the typical flavor, please comment on that too.

tubaman

3 Time BoM
Rating - 100%
173   0   0
Newt said:
Are they really that good? :smt102

I've read lots... but that usually dosnt mean much to me, you guys however carry a little more wieght in my eyes, and I know that none of you ya hoo's like keepying your opinions to yourself anways ;-)

so...

WHAT SAY YOU :smt102
Well first of all, I say I probably carry more weight than anyone here! Oh, you mean for cigar opinions, sorry!:smt081

I happen to like the Upmanns I've had. Boxes of Mag 46's, Monarchs and Sir Winnies, along with others that I've tried. I find the SW's to need a little age to hit their stride, a couple years. I have some from 99 that are good and a few from 97 that are DYNO MITE!!! Very nice flavors. I find young ones, like a lot of Upmanns, to be bland when young.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Interesting... Thanks for that insight :)

As far as "upmann regular profile" I love the Mag 46's and #2's... I dont know if I have the patience right now to sink a box for 5 or 6 year's though...

maybe I guess :)

Keep em coming gents... I know you got something to say :)

tubaman

3 Time BoM
Rating - 100%
173   0   0
I didn't mean to give the impression that you needed to wait that long for these, not my intention, I guess I worded it wrong. I just meant that these seem bland to me early on, like I happen to find most Upmanns, including Mag 46's. These just happen to be REALLY good with some age, imho.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I've smoked a couple and they were pretty good I was going to buy a box but there a little pricey after reading MRN I'm just going to go with a box of H. upman Monarchs exact same profile but a 100 bucks cheaper in price.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
N2Advnture said:
Since it's going to be between 55 and 65 all weekend, I am POWER SMOKING
I think this be me 2...I haven't had a chance to smoke one of those 70's Sir Winnes I have....one will be in the power smoking line up...I have some other large stuff I'll be burning this wekend...I hope I can breath on Monday

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Great opinions guys :smt055

I gotcha Tuba thnks :smt056

It would appear that I may have to delv into the Upmann lineup more :grin: :cool:

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I love both the Winston and Monarch; the SW is a bit more refined to my palette, while the Monarch is more straightforward tobacco, and needs some age to become great. The '98's are superb now!

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
fitzonelove said:
I love both the Winston and Monarch; the SW is a bit more refined to my palette, while the Monarch is more straightforward tobacco, and needs some age to become great. The '98's are superb now!
I totally agree with Joe. While both are great cigars, I find the SW to be a bit unique in flavor and taste. You can't go wrong either way, and it's nice to have some of both on hand, just sitting.

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I have never tried a winston, but tubaman (kevin) sent me one from 97, that I plan on smoking on my 10th wedding anniversary, it looks great, thanks again kevin.

geoffrie

Pappa Smurf
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
fitzonelove said:
Right on. I smoked one of the 99s that Kevin handed out at the herf. I smoke alot of the monarchs - one of my favs - but this was the first sir winnie.

My mini-review as follows...

The draw was a little on the tight side. Never enough to interfere with smoking - maybe it was a good thing and prevented me from puffing like an animal while walking with it. When I get a hold of a good cigar sometimes I'll smole it too fast cause it's good.

Primarily tobacco or woody tobacco - never strong and other underlying subtle flavors ... a light creamy coffee sneaks in part of the way through.

I would suggest the tempered woody/tobacco and subtle flavors would be the distinguishable characteristics from the bold? or stronger tobacco flavors of a monarch.

Only smoked this aged (99) sir winnie - would acquire more and hold them as a special occasion cigar. Not in rotation like a monarch.

tubaman

3 Time BoM
Rating - 100%
173   0   0
geoffrie said:
Right on. I smoked one of the 99s that Kevin handed out at the herf. I smoke alot of the monarchs - one of my favs - but this was the first sir winnie.

Primarily tobacco or woody tobacco - never strong and other underlying subtle flavors ... a light creamy coffee sneaks in part of the way through.
I think I accidently put half and half in the beads in my coolerdor!

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I don't agree with MRN in that the SW and Monarch have the same profile.... SW is a better (highly subjective, I know) cigar.. better in that it is more balanced between a fuller strength and body and nuances when a few years old.... I love em!!! I like monarchs a lot (smoking -98s) and when comparing with sw (also 98s) I love the sw...

Worth the extra $$?? not sure.. they are fairly close to eachother in profile, but definitly different enough to be noticable