What's new

Sirius Radio

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
So I am planning on subscribing.

Anyone have a plug & play? I don't want to get a new tuner as I have a good one in the car.

tripp

MASTER SHAKE
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
we have sirius radio hooked up in a couple of the cars we have had for sale.

The benefit is when you are a sirius radio subscriber you can log onto sirius.com and listen on your computer.

Back on subject, dont they have a adapter that works off of the casstette player like the old portable cd player hookup things.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
They may but I'm an audiophile of sorts and that defeats the purpose of the satellite radio.

I'm listening to the free trial online right now, so far good stuff!

indyrob

BoM Feb '06 & Sept. '08
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
Does it come with a headphone jack?

What about hardwiring a speaker jack into the speaker line? Wouldn't that work?

Excuse the interuption...I don't know what I'm talking about. It's 1:49 a.m. and I didn't see any new threads so I'm poking my nose where it doesn't belong. :lookaroun :bigeyes: :bigeyes:

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
I have XM and the cassette adapter sounded like crapola!

I am set up with an FM modulator. The sound quality is 'near' CD quality...the limitations inherent if the FM signal prevents it from being true CD quality.

I don't know if any of the plug and plays offered for Sirius or XM allow for any other connection besides the cassette adapter or the FM modulator. As far as I know, for the best sound quality possible a Sirius or XM ready head unit in the car is required. With these systems the satellite tuner is wired directly to the head unit...although I don’t think it is a digital connection like Coax or Fiber Optic, I could be wrong though.

I agree with Todd 100%:thumbsup:

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
Well I am thinking of this one Starmate

The headunit I have in my car has an open set of AUX inputs so I should be able to wire them directly.

jcgoldner

Jan '06 BoM
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
I've been looking at that one too! Nice small unit. It's been on sale recently at BB's. It has an 1/8" phono output to go to your inputs. Should work great. Getting ready for Stern are ya?

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
Yep, I wasn't going to follow him but a friend told me about a couple stations on there and I was sold.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
The xm or sirius ready head units are totally the way to go, but a buddy of mine has the FM transmitter and it sounds a shitload better than what I expected

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Wasch_24 said:
I have XM and the cassette adapter sounded like crapola!

I am set up with an FM modulator. The sound quality is 'near' CD quality...the limitations inherent if the FM signal prevents it from being true CD quality.

I don't know if any of the plug and plays offered for Sirius or XM allow for any other connection besides the cassette adapter or the FM modulator. As far as I know, for the best sound quality possible a Sirius or XM ready head unit in the car is required. With these systems the satellite tuner is wired directly to the head unit...although I don’t think it is a digital connection like Coax or Fiber Optic, I could be wrong though.

I agree with Todd 100%:thumbsup:
96 kbit/s — FM quality
256 - 320 kbit/s — Near CD quality

Or in sampling frequency terms:
22,050 Hz - radio
44,100 Hz - compact disc

FM is probably better than a tape adapter if you have a good transmitter, but its not near CD quality its FM quality.