What's new

Sleep study

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
So, as some of you know, I am a local delivery driver which means i need an upgraded license (not a cdl) but am still under DOT regulations. The past 2 years i have not had any issues getting my medical card to be able to drive.
This year the doc told me i am at risk for sleep apnea and i need to do a sleep study. I am kinda upset about this because i have heard some bad things about the test.
Does anybody have any experience with this stuff?
Thanks guys.

bwhite220

Brandon | BotM Jan 2038
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
So, as some of you know, I am a local delivery driver which means i need an upgraded license (not a cdl) but am still under DOT regulations. The past 2 years i have not had any issues getting my medical card to be able to drive.
This year the doc told me i am at risk for sleep apnea and i need to do a sleep study. I am kinda upset about this because i have heard some bad things about the test.
Does anybody have any experience with this stuff?
Thanks guys.
Pretty sure I’m headed down the same path, bro. I’m also interested in hearing what others have to say about the process.

Rating - 92.9%
20   1   0
I've been using a CPAP for the past 4 years and it's one of the best things I've done. A sleep study isn't bad, but you will have to be able to sleep with various wires attached to your chest, head, and legs; and also you'll have to sleep with a CPAP mask on partway through the night.

How your sleep study goes really depends on how you deal with these things. Mine went very well - I had a friendly staff and I sleep through pretty much anything, so it was no trouble for me to sleep with all this. I have a coworker however who has attempted a sleep study twice unsuccessfully due to not being able to sleep while being hooked up. Some places will allow you to take a MILD sleep aid, but most won't because you have to be woken up a couple times during the test.

If you're able to get through it, and if you actually need it, the machine will help. It will take 3-4 visits to get it calibrated the way you need it, but once you get it right it's great. When I did my study they informed me I was stopping breathing as much as 75 times an hour. 75 TIMES AN HOUR. Scared the crap out of me. I breathe much easier at night now, and I feel odd if I try to sleep without a machine.

I hope that helps, and if you have any more q's about the process feel free to ask. I'll be going to bed shortly, but I'll be back on tomorrow.

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
The test i will need to take is actually a take home. As the doc explained it, and a friend thats done it, said that its a strap around the chest to monitor chest expansion/contraction and a tube that fits like a breathing treatment up the nose as well as a small tube that fits under the lip.
I do not know how anyone could sleep lile that. My buddy that did it said that his tubes slipped and they told him he stopped breathing for at least 30 mins. Then said he had aleep apnea without a second test. Seems sketchy to me.
Thanks for the info though, @nathanw13

Rating - 92.9%
20   1   0
Wow... I've never heard of an at-home sleep study. Everyone I've known that had one had it done at an office. If they tell you that you have apnea (or really, even if they don't) and you suspect that your in-home test was compromised, please try to find a doc that does an in-office test. Unnecessary treatments can be as bad or worse than leaving a condition untreated.

NOGILLS2

Navigator
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
wow! I have had a couple of sleep studies. years ago was diagnosed with obstructive apnea, stopped breathing quite often, after a couple of test was set with a cpap, I lived with it for several years and in 2001 went on a weight reduction plan and lost quite a lot of weight and managed to do away with the cpap. Then in 2007 I had a heart attack and diagnosed with central apnea and I slept with a v pap machine which monitored my breathing and only came on when I stopped breathing, after ten years with that machine I have updated my machine and I love my new machine often sleeping 8 hours a night now and waking rested! Some take time getting used to the mask, I use nasil pillows, and don't realize I have it on most of the time. If you have any specific questions will be glad to answer. shoot me a pm.

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
wow! I have had a couple of sleep studies. years ago was diagnosed with obstructive apnea, stopped breathing quite often, after a couple of test was set with a cpap, I lived with it for several years and in 2001 went on a weight reduction plan and lost quite a lot of weight and managed to do away with the cpap. Then in 2007 I had a heart attack and diagnosed with central apnea and I slept with a v pap machine which monitored my breathing and only came on when I stopped breathing, after ten years with that machine I have updated my machine and I love my new machine often sleeping 8 hours a night now and waking rested! Some take time getting used to the mask, I use nasil pillows, and don't realize I have it on most of the time. If you have any specific questions will be glad to answer. shoot me a pm.
Thanks man. I am already starting a weight loss program. I know i could stand to lose some weight. Being on the road for lunch usually means greasy fast food every day. That is gone now. And the gym membership is about to happen this weekend. I am 6'3" and currently sitting right at 300. Most of my body is solid, but my core is coated with flab. If i lose that i think i should not have to worry about a thing. Docs say i should weigh 190, thats a bit ambitiois if you ask me. At the point i am now, i couldnt hit that unless you removed 50lbs of muscle as well as the flab. I think 250 is a good goal.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
@nathanw13 hit the nail on the head. Usually you get a test done overnight in the hospital in the sleep apnea suite if your area has one and you see a Pulmonologist as well for the follow ups.

Also, there’s different types of machines and settings that people use for the apnea. Most common is the C-Pap if I’m not mistaken. Some people also use Bi-Pap’s. Everyone is different. And the masks vary as well. I’ve seen 3 of them.

And believe it or not, this is a lot more common than people think. I have a few family members and friends who have sleep apnea.

And as I always say to friends and family, if you don’t like what the doctor says, go get a 2nd opinion from another and go from there.

Sent from my cellular device via crapatalk

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sleep study is no big deal. It’s better to find out and get treatment than to fall asleep while driving or worse. When I had my study, they called it after just 3 hours and put on a CPAP to complete the study. They determined that I stopped breathing so often I was never getting to REM sleep. With the CPAP I sleep very soundly. If you need a CPAP, the thing you need to search for is a mask that works for you. Once you find the right mask you will be fine.

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
I have slept with a Cpap machine since 2001 and quite frankly it was life changing. I used to get so drowsy during the day that my boss assigned another co-worker to keep me awake during meetings (no joke). Since getting my machine I no longer have an issue dozing off during the day and am much healthier. I am so comfortable with my machine that I literally cannot sleep without it. Not treating sleep apnea can be very dangerous for two reasons. 1. If you are not getting REM sleep at night you are more likely to fall asleep during the day, making it more likely that you could fall asleep at the wheel. And 2. If you suffer from sleep apnea your blood is not getting the proper oxygen at night which makes you more susceptible to heart issues.

As far as a sleep study, I have have several done over the years in a sleep lab and aside from trying to sleep with the wires attached it was no big deal. I’ve never heard of doing one at home on you own but I’m guessing it May be because insurance is trying to get it done on the cheap? I agree with the suggestion to do the home test and if it doesn’t work, take it to the next level and have it done at a sleep lab.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
97   0   0
I've been using a CPAP for two years now and it's been great. I did the sleep study in a monitoring room, at a sleep clinic. I do know that some clinics do in home though, where they bring the equipment to your house and set up there. My test concluded that I stopped breathing over 100 times an hour....record setting for them apparently. I'm not sure how I was still alive lol. If you end up being diagnosed with apnea, you definitely should just get used to using the mask and machine. Took me less than a week to get used to it. They have so many styles and fits, that it is really come a long way.

irratebass

www.blindmanspuff.com
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
I do not have Apnea, I believe my wife SHOULD get the test, but a friend of mine passed away a couple years ago because of Apnea, so don't dilly-dally it is VERY serious.

I find it strange that it's our generation that has to deal with Apnea, I NEVER heard of this shit with my grandparents or even my parents. I didn't hear about this really until about 5yrs ago when I was a dispatcher in the trucking industry, and they were diagnosing Apnea left & right to our drivers.

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
I have had 2 sleep studies. The only difficulty for me was initially falling asleep, took well over an hour. Flipping over to one side or the other is a chore because of all the hook ups.
I opted for surgery (twice) after being diagnosed with severe sleep apnea. My apnea is probably 80% better, but I tried and can't use the CPAP, so I just live with the percentage I still have.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Take home test is not actually uncommon, from what I've been told. My issues for having a sleep study had nothing to do with sleep apnea, but she did mention while we were talking that a good percentage of the sleep studies for apnea are take home.

Angry Bill

2x BoM, BoY '08
Staff member
Rating - 100%
201   0   0
I did mine st as clinic at UCLa. Was very easy. Although getting to sleep with someone watching and monitoring you was difficult. A sc a result, I w as s l it fly enough to wear a sleep mouthguard, which stopped my snoring.

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Wow, never would have guessed that this many people deal with apnea. It is crazy how it just became a "thing" recently.
My wife does not think i have apnea, but the DOT doc thinks i am at risk and therefore must take the test.
My biggest issue is thinking about falling asleep with that stupid tube in my nose.
Thanks to everyone for your responses. If i am diagnosed with it, i feel more comfortable about that now.

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
I had one sleep study and they told me that I was stopping breathing 50+ times an hour and the clinic was very comfortable. The way they wired me up wasn’t an issue.

I am a nose breather so I got the dreamwear nasal pillow mask with the hose at the top of my head. It allows me to turn over and adjust my position will little to no constraints. It was life changing. I told my wife she saved my life by complaining about my snoring. I have so much more energy; which is important as a teacher. It has the added benefit of alleviating my allergies almost completely. It also enjoy cigars more. Don’t give up if there is any chance you might have. Apnea. Many people have died as a result of it, including heart issues resulting from poor oxygenation. I have a close friend who is suffering from heart failure that is finding out may have been caused by Apnea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk