What's new

"Smoke Eater" hack

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I've retreated into my Air Conditioned smoke room for the summer and have found an inexpensive way to improve the smoke/odor problem. In a previous thread I mentioned how a simple "Filtrete Allergen Reduction Filter" taped over the intake side of an inexpensive box fan removes the smoke in the room. I addressed the odor problem with a combination of Ozone Generator and various Febreze sprays,

This afternoon I found that adding a "Filtrete Allergen Reduction + Odor Elimination Filter" between the fan and the primary filter prevents both cigar smoke and aroma from becoming a problem. Works great for a small single smoker room. The odor elimination filter has activated carbon in-bedded in the filter material

I have plans for a larger smoke room in the new house and will probably have to upsize this hack. I think that with a larger CFM in-line ducted fan, the filters and a bit of ingenuity I can keep the air breathable without venting cooled or heated air to outside. They sell activated carbon in bulk so I may try to save a couple of bucks on the odor elimination filter.

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
I've retreated into my Air Conditioned smoke room for the summer and have found an inexpensive way to improve the smoke/odor problem. In a previous thread I mentioned how a simple "Filtrete Allergen Reduction Filter" taped over the intake side of an inexpensive box fan removes the smoke in the room. I addressed the odor problem with a combination of Ozone Generator and various Febreze sprays,

This afternoon I found that adding a "Filtrete Allergen Reduction + Odor Elimination Filter" between the fan and the primary filter prevents both cigar smoke and aroma from becoming a problem. Works great for a small single smoker room. The odor elimination filter has activated carbon in-bedded in the filter material

I have plans for a larger smoke room in the new house and will probably have to upsize this hack. I think that with a larger CFM in-line ducted fan, the filters and a bit of ingenuity I can keep the air breathable without venting cooled or heated air to outside. They sell activated carbon in bulk so I may try to save a couple of bucks on the odor elimination filter.
Interesting. Watching.....

Sent from The Department of Arrested Development using an elevated sense of self worth.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
What’s the best febreze scents for smoke?

Febreze will help with the odors, not necessarily do anything for smoke. Some of the members suggested the Febreze Heavy Duty 2x odor elimination and if you don't mind the smell of Febreze it seems to knock out the smells pretty well.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Febreze will help with the odors, not necessarily do anything for smoke. Some of the members suggested the Febreze Heavy Duty 2x odor elimination and if you don't mind the smell of Febreze it seems to knock out the smells pretty well.
Yeah by smoke I meant odor lol I’ll look for the heavy duty next time at the store.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Super cool - I'm interested in the smoke room in the new house.
Yea, I'm interested in seeing it also, still looking for "the last house we will ever live in". I hate shopping for houses, met with the mortgage company today to get pre-approved and I like house shopping even less now!

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Yea, I'm interested in seeing it also, still looking for "the last house we will ever live in". I hate shopping for houses, met with the mortgage company today to get pre-approved and I like house shopping even less now!
Heh I'm a real estate agent :) I know how much fun all of that can be (or not) especially in a market like this. It's so hot that your forever home might get sold to someone else right out from under your solid offer!

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Yep, the biggest problem we are having is knowing something better will pop up the day after we agree on a contract. No urgent reason for us to make a decision so there is a lot of "if it only had a ________ or if it was _________ less expensive." I think the local agents are tired of seeing us!. This is the first time we can financially buy what we want but I'm too tight to overspend. Maybe tomorrow!

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Yep, the biggest problem we are having is knowing something better will pop up the day after we agree on a contract. No urgent reason for us to make a decision so there is a lot of "if it only had a ________ or if it was _________ less expensive." I think the local agents are tired of seeing us!. This is the first time we can financially buy what we want but I'm too tight to overspend. Maybe tomorrow!
Is building an option at all? Or not at the price you want to spend to get what you want? And do you plan on being able to renovate as well if needed (ie pay a little less but put in more elbow grease)

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Is building an option at all? Or not at the price you want to spend to get what you want? And do you plan on being able to renovate as well if needed (ie pay a little less but put in more elbow grease)

Yep, found the perfect house Friday. 2.5 Acres, 1 hour from work, 50x50 shed with attached cigar room, good sized house, fenced. Decided we can put in a pool but looking at Google Earth the woods in the back turned out to be Swamp. The high speed internet turned out to be wireless hot spot so we're still looking.

Elbow grease has never been a problem but I want to finance as much of the house as possible at the current rates so the 30K pool and 25K shed would have to come from cash.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
BTW, been using the smoke eater fan & filter hack and it works wonderfully. Quite a difference when I walk into the room, no smells. Doubling up on the fan/filter option may be the way to go instead of trying to build something bigger and more complicated when I get a larger room

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Yep, found the perfect house Friday. 2.5 Acres, 1 hour from work, 50x50 shed with attached cigar room, good sized house, fenced. Decided we can put in a pool but looking at Google Earth the woods in the back turned out to be Swamp. The high speed internet turned out to be wireless hot spot so we're still looking.

Elbow grease has never been a problem but I want to finance as much of the house as possible at the current rates so the 30K pool and 25K shed would have to come from cash.
Solid thought process re: financing. Rates are insane right now.