What's new

"Smoke, Lies and the Nanny State" - by Joe Jackson

Moro

BoM Decembre '08
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Well, I found this essay in the web and thought on sharing it. It's PDF.

Smoke, Lies and the Nanny State

It was written by Joe Jackson, the musician, and is from a cigarrette smoker, yet most of the views expressed within we will all agree upon. Hope ye enjoy.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I remember reading this about a year ago. I was fairly impressed with what he has to say just couldn't believe it was from a guy who I had listened to since the 80's.

Well, I found this essay in the web and thought on sharing it. It's PDF.

Smoke, Lies and the Nanny State

It was written by Joe Jackson, the musician, and is from a cigarrette smoker, yet most of the views expressed within we will all agree upon. Hope ye enjoy.

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
A lot of good points here.

I just don't get the mentality of lawmakers. If you want to make it illegal to smoke in public places, fine, I can understand the logic in that. Forcing all restaurants to be non-smoking is a bit too far I think, though.

But to try to outlaw smoking in places like cigar bars and smoke shops is just plain Nazi to me. Who in their right mind is going to go to a cigar bar if they aren't willing to be around smoke anyway? That's like saying a bar cannot serve alcohol or there can be no personal contact at a swing dancing club.

There really is a concerted effort to completely prohibit smoking on a National level. Keeping it away from kids is good, and trying to eliminate unwanted 2nd-hand smoke is also very good I think. But to tell people that they don't have the right to smoke in specifically designated areas is just a total rape of our personal freedom in America.